Odd php mail() antics

Hey all,

Hope your all having an ace 2006.

Just a quick general Q…

Im using txtlist (http://txtbox.co.za/p_txtlist.php) to manage my mailing lists, ive used it fine on dreamhost in the past, however im trying to send a mailout now, and it seems temperamental, it uses the PHP mail() function, and when i try send a test email to just myself, i dont receive it. Ive also developed a script for recommending a page to friends which also relies on PHP’s mail() function, which worked all the time in the past, however now sometimes it sends email and sometimes it doesnt. I was just wondering if this is due to
configuration changes with dreamhost or me doing something wrong? Ive tried the mail function as “mail” and “@mail”, both provide patchy workings.

Rest assured im not sending spam, all users who have subscribed to my mailing lists have done manually and humanly, and i give clear unsubscribe instructions, i rarely send mailouts too. I hate spam, it stinks.

Just thought id get this checked out before i send a mailout to users notifying them of my new creation… elpics.com

Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Sean

Theres been various posts about php’s mail() and odd things happening on this forum for the last few weeks.

I don’t use it php mail() except for one or two emails, but my java based mailer had to be modified because dreamhost doesn’t permit more than 1000 emails an hour being dispatched…

[quote]herods said…

I don’t use it php mail() except for one or two emails, but my java
based mailer had to be modified because dreamhost doesn’t permit
more than 1000 emails an hour being dispatched…

[/quote]

Hi herods,

I’m having difficulty with php mailers as well, and am looking for an alternative solution. I’ve never used a java based mailer. Is that working well for you? Would you mind expanding on what you use and how you use it?

Any advice appreciated. Thanks,
pdxdude