.nsf files

Ok fellow Dream Hosters,

So I emailed a support ticket asking if they knew why some .nsf files ended up in one of my domain’s main directory folder. They appeared after I was trying to upload some .html files (via net2ftp) - which didn’t work because the .html files appeared as 0 kb sized files. Naturally these files are not supposed to be that size. :slight_smile:

I tried a different domain to see if the problem was with all of my domains and the second domain did the same thing.

I never received a response from tech support for my support ticket (nor have I received an email confirming my support ticket), but the problem seems to have disappeared. I read the other posting on here from a long while ago, but it didn’t address why this happened and how I can prevent it from happening to me again.

Was it something that I did wrong?

Thank you to anyone that is willing to help!

The .nsf files were in the format of
.nfs##x#############

Okay, this is how I understood it, as I just recently had a similar problem and James, from support (who is totally awesome!), helped to resolve it: basically the .nsf files are temporary files that are created by the system. I’m not entirely positive how the nfs files work, other than to say my assumption would be that they’re in place for “active”/used processes. In my case, it was my php5.cgi file. I was told that the lock file which tracks that nfs file was somehow lost, and thus a system reboot was required.

Anyways, normally such files are supposed to disappear fairly quickly. If not, then a support ticket is usually the best way to go about it. I’d personally wait about 30mins to an hour before filing a ticket though, just to be sure the system wasn’t hung up (which support can’t really do much about).

Chips N Cheese - Custom PHP installs and the like!

Mousee,

Thanks for your reply and trying to help me understand it.

Do you know though if the problem was caused by myself or perhaps something that I need to fix/update or was this just something that happened that I have no control over?

I’m just trying to figure out if it was caused by my actions or inactions. I’d really hate to be causing problems for my entire server. :slight_smile: Just trying to be proactive.

Again thank you for helping me to understand better what happened. :slight_smile:

Sincerely,
Learning

I have no idea in your own case. Considering it went away by itself, I’d say that there was just something temporarily hanging up the server or NFS mount you’re on. If you see stuff like that happen often though, I’d definitely report it to support, as I can’t imagine such files should even be noticeable (I’ve personally never seen them under normal circumstances).

Hopefully that makes some sense anyways. :slight_smile:

Chips N Cheese - Custom PHP installs and the like!

Thanks for your replies.

I figured you wouldn’t know specifically for my case, but it’s good to know generally speaking about these things.