Not seeing PNGs and GIFs

When I upload files to the FTP server, and then look at them in the index of files (actually clicking on the links), the PNG and GIF images do not appear and come up as the red crosses. I do not have the same problem with JPGs, they turn out fine. Is there a way to rectify this?

Another problem I’ve been having is when I’ve been uploading images via an FTP program (I use FTP Commander and FileZilla). On some of the images it looks like it hasn’t uploaded properly, leaving part of the image paler or a different colour. I’ve tried uploading the image again, changing the name of it and then uploading it again and all sorts but nothing worked. I still got the same corrupted version of the picture. The only way to solve it was for the owner of the main domain (mine is one off their’s) to upload the picture into my FTP server.

Any thoughts?

What browser are you using? Theses type of problems are a know issue with Microsoft Internet Explorer (depending sometimes on how the PNG/GIF was constructed, and sometime with an Internet Explorer program corruptionm).

If you are using IE, try again with a different browser (I recommend Firefox - http://www.getfirefox.com) and see if the problem persists. If not you should search the web via google for any of the numerous recommended “fixes” to IE (often using the “Repair” option in the control panel will work, somtines a dll has to be re-registered, and others)

I you still can’t see the images with another browser, make sure you ftp’d the files with the “binary” type set for transfer in you ftp program.

Regards,
rlparker

That could be it :slight_smile: I’m using IE so I’ll try Firefox. I’ve been told to use ASCII when uploading the files, what’s the difference exactly?

Thanks for your help :slight_smile:

I think you found the problem!

If you are uploading image files in ASCII mode your images will be broken. ASCII is a 7-bit code that only represent 255 characters of the American Standard Code for Information Interchange (essentially, the computer equivalent of alphanumeric character, punctuation, assorted sysmbols, and printer/teletype/terminal control codes).

Using binary mode will make sure that all 8 bits of the byte are properly transferred, and “pictures” use the full 8 bits of the byte to store their information. While not an extensive, or particularly authoritaive list, you should be ok for most web ftp stuff if you use the following:

ASCII MODE for:
“pure” text files - source code and CSV data in general
PHP Program files
HTML files
perl programs (look for .pl or .cgi filetypes)

BINARY MODE for:
Essentially everything else
graphics of any type
zip or other compressed archive files
.mp3, .avi, mov, wma - media in general

You can find more on all this with your friend and mind - Google!

Regards,
Rlparker

You can also normally set a FTP flient to automatic transfer mode. That way it sees the file extesion and opens the correct transfer mode for you - do you don’t have to worry about it.

-Matttail

If the jpg’s weren’t working I’d have said it was file Permission. “chmod 755” is what we should use isn’t it?

not for jpgs. You use 644 for them.

644 = rw-r–r--
755 = rwxr-xr-x

You’re not executing jpgs, just reading them.