Not receiving cron output via email

My cron jobs are running, I think, but I’m not being emailed the output. I’ve submitted a ticket, but it seems to be 1,120th in line for response. Any advice?

What’s the cron job supposed to do? If it’s supposed to show any kind of visible result, you may want to check any output on the server (log files, changes to website content) to see if the cron is running. Alternatively, you may try pasting your cron instructions here so one of us can have a look at it. It may be set up not to send emails to you when it fires.

Yes, I have an opinion.

Get a minimum 50% off with the “haveadreamyday” promo code, and… have a dreamy day. Original, no?

Here’s something in the wiki:

http://wiki.dreamhost.com/index.php/Crontab#Output

You are welcome to a refund.-Michael;Comparing ‘DH of today’ with ‘DH of old’ does not serve much purpose.-Dallas

The wiki says:
“By default (i.e. if you don’t specify anything at all) regular and error output will be e-mailed to you.”

The cron job is:
rsync -e ssh -av user@otherserver.com:/var/data/dir/ /home/username/local/dir/

Which means I should be receiving email to the effect of:

“receiving file list … done
sent 20 bytes received 406 bytes 56.80 bytes/sec
total size is 224736 speedup is 527.55”

But I’m not. Am I getting anything wrong here?

I assume you told the crontab system when you want it run? For instance, every day at midnight? From the man pages for crontab, an example crontab entry with an optional output file:
5 0 * * * $HOME/bin/daily.job >> $HOME/tmp/out 2>&1

In that example, the crontab will run at 12:05 AM, daily, send the output to /tmp/out in your home directory, and not send you an email.

Yes, I have an opinion.

Get a minimum 50% off with the “haveadreamyday” promo code, and… have a dreamy day. Original, no?