Not receiving contact form submissions

I have tried various pluggins for my wordpress site (contact form pluggins), but I don’t receive the submissions. I have looked in my spam too. They just don’t seem to get through. I even tried sending them to different emails (gmail and yahoo), but none of them go through. Every once in a while one will go through to spam several days later. Is there a way to fix this or do contact forms simply not work?


Make sure the plugin doesn’t set the return address as the one set by the contact form submitter. It must be from your domain or DH won’t deliver it.

How can I find out what address is set as the return address? Do I need to contact the plugin maker or can you help me find out?

Depending on which plugin you use someone might be able to help - but we wont know unless you tell us which plugins you’ve tried.

Contact 7 and (Wordpress) Form Manager. I tried several others too but didn’t like them. If I could get either of these two to work I would like to stick with them.

The Contact Form 7 needs to send using the domain you are hosting with your hosting company, not using a domain that is not using them.

Change the ‘To’ field in the contact form 7 to your domain email. E.g. and the ‘From’ field must be:

Then you want to add in an extra header:

Reply-to: [your-name] <[your-email]>


That way when you reply to the emails, it goes to the right person :slight_smile:

This is the solution that I implemented back during the summer and it worked swimmingly on all my sites UNTIL A FEW DAYS AGO. It seems that many - maybe all - of the sites that I’m responsible for have stopped receiving email from their contact forms. I spent hours last night trying to figure out why. I even tried adding the Configure SMTP plugin (which shouldn’t be, and wasn’t before, necessary). That plugin sends successful test email but the properly configured Contact Form 7 form still does NOT.

I’ve emailed support for help, but I’m posting here too as I desperately need to figure this out and get started fixing numerous sites quickly. Otherwise, my whole weekend will be shot by this thing. :frowning:

Does anyone know if DH has changed anything new in the past couple days that requires additional changes?

I figured out the problem on my own, so I thought I’d post back in case anyone else has issues.

When I originally reconfigured Contact Form 7 on all my sites, I changed the “From” address to be and then added Reply-to: [your-name] <[your-email]> as an extra header. In the MESSAGE BODY, I left in a line that said “From: [your-name] <[your-email]>” so it was easy for the recipient to see who the message was from before they started to respond. This worked perfectly and nothing else was required.

SOMETHING changed in the last few days that was causing the server to pick up that “from” line in the message body and reject the message as “sender domain not allowed.” Editing that line in the message body to simply say “Completed by: [your-name] <[your-email]>” makes it work again!!

Edited to add: I realized as I was going through the maildir directories that this happened more like a few weeks ago, not a few days ago.

Another mistake waiting to happen there is using an invalid “From:” address. If the Contact Form 7 plug-in actually requires that “ContactForm@” is used as the From: address then I’d urge users to create a real ContactForm@domain.tld mail address in order to help future proof it against any anti-spam measures that are yet to be implemented.