Not on the latest WP 3.8 version, the dashboard says I am

I admit I got behind upgrading WP installs, and the site I manage for a friend on my DH account is on 3.4. :slight_smile:

The problem is that I don’t see a way to auto upgrade from the Dashboard. When I click “check again”, I get this:

“Last checked on December 27, 2013 at 4:08 PM. Check Again
You have the latest version of WordPress.”

Which is 3.4.1.

I tried looking for versions in between 3.4.1 and 3.8, to slowly upgrade version to version, and I can’t find any with which to do a manual upgrade.

I’m not sure if this is a WP problem, or a DH problem?

I want to upgrade her NextGen Gallery photos to the latest version of the plug-in, and I cannot do that until I upgrade the WP version to 3.8. Otherwise, re: the site itself, the content is all text/pages, it’s not a blog.

How do I get to WP 3.8 from 3.4?

Esp. when the WP dashboard hosted by DH tells me 3.4 is the latest version? :slight_smile:

If it matters, my own WP blog, also hosted on my account at DH, but under a different domain name, is on 3.8. Yes, my friend’s WP site has her own separate domain, it’s not a subdomain of anything of mine. I don’t understand why one WP site under my account upgraded fine, but the other WP site cannot upgrade. Again, each are under their own domain name on my DH account.

Thank you.

I decided to do a fresh install of WP 3.8 on my DH account. All I had to do was cut and paste the text of the Pages over.

The problem now isexporting the NextGen Gallery from the 3.4 WP install to the 3.8 WP install, now in a separate directory.

Following these instructions:

I managed to export the tables, but can’t import them, and now I’ve broken the old gallery, and the new one doesn’t work either. I set up a new db for the new WP 3.8 install.

Ah well, tomorrow is another day.

I am disappointed that NextGen did not have a better export/import mechanism. Else, better documentation on their own site for how to do it.

Surely, I am not the first person to do this! :slight_smile:

Do you still have your files and database from your original WordPress site? If you do, it might be easier to use those and upgrade manually (as opposed to moving your entire site to a new install by copying and pasting…and then having to tinker with the database)

I will have to look, but the upgrade should be as simple as overwriting the WordPress files with the new updated files.

So first thing: can you restore your wordpress site back to where it was before you started? or are you beyond that point now?

Thank you for your response.

I was just about to close out this thread.

It ended up being a “stupid me” problem.

In the original site, I had installed a plug-in to block upgrades (!). I did not notice this until this afternoon. As soon as I deactivated and deleted that plug-in, WP let me know it was time to upgrade, and that went smoothly. In the meantime, I had figured out why I had “broken” the Original WP Site NextGen Gallery (the photos folder were moved to the new site, not copied). I fixed that, and the Original Site NextGen Gallery then worked fine.

Since I was never able to figure out a good way to export the NextGen Gallery to the new site, I’ll just add the new theme to the old site, and tweak it based on what I created with the new WP site. It’s only a few Pages and some widgets. I’m in the process of deleting old/unneeded plugins to match the New WP Site, including the NextGen Gallery.

The advantage to this problem is that it did force me to, in effect, set up a Test Site on New WP site, sans the NextGen Gallery.

Guess I won’t be so lazy next time. And I’ll try to troubleshoot more. I just didn’t notice that plugin last night.

Thank you for your response.

Wonderful. Glad to hear you sorted it out.