Not been registered as a nameserver with the .info

i have a .info domain i registered with dreamhost and i want to change the whois nameservers. i know they are working nameservers i have pointed other domains to them. but when i try to point my .info domain to them i get the following error.

Error: This has not been registered as a nameserver with the .info registry. Contact the registrar of (my nameserver) to do so

help anyone??

Have you tried to do a .info whois search

http://www.afilias.info/whois_search/

um… what does that have to do with my question??

i can who is the domain all day long… that wont help me figure out how come i cant transfer it to another nameserver.

i have the domain already setup at the new nameserver its awaiting the domain to be pointed to it.

dreamhost isnt letting me point it.

right you are…read it wrong…sorry.

but, is it really dreamhost?

Error: This has not been registered as a nameserver with the .info registry. Contact the registrar of (my nameserver) to do so

Perhaps the nameserver where you are trying to point it to has yet to register their nameservers with the .info registry.

ok well i own the nameserver and i cant find any info on how to register with .info registry there site is vary useless asfar as this info goes.

this might help

http://www.afilias.info/register/find/

not sure…but seems that it may be a task if it is your own nameserver.

that doesn’t help at all… thats a list of valid registrars i don’t want to sale .info domains i just want to control the whois records of one with my nameserver.

like i said there site is useless

it’s http://www.afilias.info/

"Afilias launched its registry service in July 2001 with its inaugural product, .INFO– the most successful of the seven new top-level domains (TLDs) selected by the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN). Today, Afilias currently provides registry services for .INFO, .ORG and several country code TLDs (ccTLDs) and Sponsored TLDs (sTLDs), together supporting over eight million domain names. "

ok i just said that site is useless your not paying much attention to what im saying…

i spent over an hour ripping through afilias.info i couldn’t find jack for info on my problem.

I would contact the registrar, as the error instructed, and give them the error message.

You could contact DH support as well, but that’s probably what they’d tell you to do anyway.

:stuck_out_tongue: Save up to $96 at Dreamhost with ALMOST97 promo code (I get $1).
Or save $97 with THEFULL97.

Are they your private nameservers on a reseller account somewhere? If that’s the case, you might want to ask the host to double-check settings on their end.

You could try running another site pointed at your nameservers through dnsreport.com and see if that spits out any helpful errors.

:stuck_out_tongue: Save up to $96 at Dreamhost with ALMOST97 promo code (I get $1).

the namserver is my own private dedicated server i have.

and the domain registrar of the domain i want to point to it. is “Dreamhost”

Afilias is the official .INFO registry operator designated by ICAAN

If you have purchased a third party nameserver, then I would do what seiler said.

If not, I read the ICAAN agreement between Afilias and ICAAN

“On 11 May 2001, ICANN and Afilias entered into an Unsponsored Registry Agreement under which Afilias operates the .info top-level domain.”

So, if it is your own nameserver, you need to register it with Afilias.

Sorry Lone if I am misinterpreting you…it wouldn’t be the first time I was confused on a friday…I am just trying to help.

I meant the registrar of the nameserver domain – not the domain you want to point to them. That’s what the error seems to be telling you to do, meaning that it’s saying there’s a problem with the nameservers and not the domain itself.

If your dedicated server is with Dreamhost, and your nameservers are registered through them, then you would need to contact them about it.

my nameserver is located on a dedicated server that has nothing to do with dreamhost. as far as the registrar of the domain that is the nameserver is godaddy. the owner of the domain is me.

im understanding i need to get listed, or added to the .info nameservers list or whatever it is…

my point is i cant find any information on how do go about doing this

I just sent an email request to afilias support…asking…

“Hi, how does one go about registering a nameserver to be able to host a .info domain?”

Its a start.

I would probably contact Godaddy first, in case it’s just a simple misconfiguration of your nameservers on their end. If not, they should be able to point you in the right direction as far as that error message goes, or whether it’s you or them that needs to register with any 3rd party.

In any case, Godaddy is who that error is telling you to contact, so it’s a good starting point.

I would do what Seiler said…contact GoDaddy

Why does your first post say that the domain was registered with Dreamhost if it’s actually registered with GoDaddy? It sounds from your description like Dreamhost has nothing to do with the registration or hosting of that particular domain.

– Dan

I think the .info domain is registered here, but he has another domain registered at Godaddy, that he has nameservers registered with–and uses them as nameservers on a dedicated server with another host.

When he points the DH-registered .info at his custom nameservers, he gets that error.

But his problem seems to be with the other domain, rather than the .info name registered here.