Not a happy customer

I signed-up for the “free trial”, however come to find out I was billed for the trial. Then I wanted to see how a program worked, well I was charged a fee for that also. Your “free trial” was false advertising. I hope I can get my refund back, since I created and closed an account the same day. I shouldn’t be charged any fees. Is anyone else running into problems like this? I tried calling the phone number, but everything is on the website. I sent a message to them. I hope I get my money back.

An unhappy customer

Just to clarify, we charged you the same day for the free trial? We do a small 0.99 charge but immediately credit it back just to check the card you’re using is valid. We don’t actually charge for hosting until after the 2-week trial has ended.
What might have happened is that maybe a domain was registered? We do charge for registering an extra domain.
I do see you submitted a ticket about it so someone will be investigating the charge. Rest assured our goal is not take your money! That’s the point of the free trial :slight_smile:
I apologize for the inconvenience and thank you so much for your patience in this matter.
Let me know if you have any other questions.

[quote=“DH_Justin, post:2, topic:58796”]
Just to clarify, we charged you the same day for the free trial? We do a small 0.99 charge but immediately credit it back just to check the card you’re using is valid. We don’t actually charge for hosting until after the 2-week trial has ended.
What might have happened is that maybe a domain was registered? We do charge for registering an extra domain.
I do see you submitted a ticket about it so someone will be investigating the charge. Rest assured our goal is not take your money! That’s the point of the free trial :slight_smile:
I apologize for the inconvenience and thank you so much for your patience in this matter.
Let me know if you have any other questions.

[quote]

Yes, I was charged a “free trial” fee. Why would you even do a small 0.99 charge, when it was a free trial? That would be considered false advertising then. I didn’t even have register an extra domain.

When you signed up, you chose to register a domain only instead of purchasing hosting. There is no free trial for domain registrations — the full price of the domain is charged to your card immediately, and is generally not refundable.

Where did this say that? Not only that, it didn’t give me an option of using a domain already created. I closed it the same day. You are taking my money, which you said that you (the company) didn’t want to.

It’s not the case here… noting andrewf posted the answer…but…

One thing that I just became aware of while upgrading software for my wife’s retail store, I used every card in my pocket at somepoint or another for small test transactions, some even got multiple hits. The moral… “credit” transactions generally come thru slower than the charge, sometimes by several days, one credit took a full week, while the charge appeared the same day it was made. “Void” transactions tend to knock the charge to the account off (or refund the amount) faster.

I am sure they didn’t say registering a domain was free without hosting.

Hosting is a free trial, not registering a domain. When you sign up for hosting you can add as many existing domains as you want to for hosting. I have used this feature often.

If you bought a domain name, you now own a domain name. It’s yours.

I am not sure how you can close your account while you still have a domain in there. Per ICANN rules you have to wait 60 days after initial registration before you can transfer the domain elsewhere, so I’d assume you have to keep your account active for at least that much time.

When I closed the account, it gave me the option of removing my domain name also, which I did. So there wasn’t any info on the domain name, since I didn’t know how to upload any data to it anyway.

That sounds strange, where did your domain registration go then? A registration is valid for one year and can’t be removed or cancelled during that time.

The choice you were given when you closed your account was regarding whether to continue to notify you when your domains were up for renewal (“keep the domain”), or to simply allow them to expire when the time comes (“throw it away”). The domain registration was not deleted, and remains available to you through the DreamHost Panel.

I didn’t know I was going to be charged for the domain. If it was a “free trial”, what good is it without a domain right. Especially when I couldn’t even upload anything to it.
[hr]

I was given the choice to throw it away, which I did. Plus, I also thought that I won’t be charged for it, because I did that.

I’ve been a Dreamhost customer since 2007 and I can say that in my experience Dreamhost has always been particularly clear about charging for domains, you can’t go through the registration process without having agreed to being charged separately for it.

Me and all the other customers can upload whatever we want to our sites.

Bottom line, you bought a domain name, it’s yours, it’s still yours. You can do with it as you please, including “throwing it away”. You can change your mind about what to do with the domain until it actually expires.

Just another example of how people do not read. They just click away and the only thing in their mind was one word “FREE”. Guess when in the supermarket you sample a “FREE” piece of cheese, the whole cheese is supposed to be free.

I looked at http://dreamhost.com/web-hosting/

Based on that, I would say that Dreamhost is misleading its potential customers with regard to the cost of registering a domain for a free trial of web hosting.

They claim that “Shared Hosting” includes “Free Domain Registration (A $9.95 Value!)”.

It follows, logically, that a free trial of Shared Hosting includes free domain registration for the duration of the trial.

I think the OP is due an apology.

~Tom

We do apologize if any of our wording comes off as confusing, we understand we reach an international audience and try our best to make sure all our plans are easy to understand. (none of that legal fine print) Your feed back is greatly appreciated and we would love to hear from you.

Below is the what we tell you the customer on our website about our “Free Domain Registrations Included!” If you have any suggestions on how we can improve on it, please let us know! :slight_smile:

[quote]Sign up for any of our hosting packages and we’ll throw in a .com, .org, .net, or .info domain registration free for the life of your hosting! That’s a $9.95/yr value – included free with every DreamHost hosting plan.

We register domains in YOUR name and you’re free to do with them what you will! Take them to another hosting company if you’d like! We’ll be sad, but hey, they’re your domains!

A single domain registration is included free with any active hosting plan. Note that if the plan becomes inactive at any point during the registration year, you will be charged for that year’s registration.
[/quote]

Thanks,
Matt C

Hi Matt. I suggest you could change

to something like

And that pesky “Free Domain Registration (A $9.95 Value!)” should be re-worded I think (not sure how).

~Tom

Try signing up for hosting, the second step is to pick a domain, it offers the choice to register a new one or bring your own, there is a notice that says:

It’s clear that you have to pay 9.95 and that you only get the credit after the trial period ends. Logical conclusion is that you don’t get that credit if you cancel before the trial ends. Though maybe this should be stated explicitly.

Otto, I agree, we should be more clear. The folks in charge of that are actually working on this. Trying to word things so no one gets confused is impossible, but we’re working on being better!

Yes there’ll always be people who get confused, however good you make it. But Dreamhost is great for trying. :slight_smile:

On the contrary … While technically Dreamhost may be very good, I would argue that in key areas such as marketing communications it is verging on being more confused than its customers and potential customers.

Take shared hosting pricing for example.

http://dreamhost.com/servers/compare-our-products/ offers shared hosting for “$8.95/mo with two-year prepayment of $214.80. $9.95/mo with one-year prepayment of $119.40.” There do not appear to be any other options on offer, for longer prepayment periods. Maybe if one enters the signup process and gives an email address and/or credit card number, then further options will magically appear … but I do not want to go through those steps, and more importantly, nor would a prospective customer who just wants to find out about Dreamhost pricing.

On the other hand for a DNS-only account (created in September) https://panel.dreamhost.com/index.cgi?tree=billing.accounts&current_step=Index&next_step=AddPlan offers to add a Happy Hosting plan for

“monthly ($10.95/mo, $49.95 set up fee)
yearly ($9.95/mo, the $49.95 set up fee will be waived)
every two years ($8.95/mo, no set up fee)
every three years ($7.95/mo, no set up fee)
every five years ($6.95/mo, no set up fee)
every ten years ($5.95/mo, no set up fee)”

But where can a prospective customer discover that Dreamhost offers shared hosting at a deeper discount for three/five/ten year prepayment?