Non-profit question

I am looking for a free or low-cost host for a small non-profit website. We have non-profit tax status already. I found the dreamhost free nonprofit hosting and am very interested, but I had a few questions before making a final decision.

Will DH put advertising on the site?
Are there any differences in services between the free hosting and the paid hosting?
How satisfied are other users of the non-profit hosting?

Free accounts are the same as paid accounts. Only free :wink:

Maximum Cash Discount on any plan with MAXCASH

I’m not non-profit, so I can’t check, but I thought the NP account was for just one domain.

-Scott

One would assume they wouldn’t be used for personal sites, of course, but I’ve seen an account that had 3 domains hosted on it - all subsidiaries / sister sites of the same np org. Perhaps they had to make a special request? I’ve forgotten the site now but if memory serves me correctly they were part of an animal shelter organisation.

From the Dreamhost wiki:

[quote]DreamHost offers a FREE hosting plan to non-profit, charitable organizations registered in the United States. This hosting plan offers significantly more than our standard hosting package and is only available to non-profit organizations.
This discount applies to a single hosting plan per non-profit, hosted within only one account, for US-based 501©(3) organizations.
Domain registrations (other than any included with the plan) are not eligible for any discounts.[/quote]
Note that the implication is that additional domain registrations have to be paid for, but there is certainly the implication that you can host as many domains as you can “fit” into your one free plan/account.

Back when there was a Strictly Business plan, that was the plan that non-profits got for free. Now that the standard Happy Hosting plan has higher limits that the deluxe Strictly Business plan, the only features that the Strictly Business plan had going for it over the current regular shared hosting plan are:

1. one free unique IP address
  2. VPN access
  3. five telephone callbacks
  4. one free SSL certificate

These are quite valuable and I’d certainly recommend that non-profits contact pre-sales support to see if you still get these with a 501©(3) account.

Use the [color=#CC0000]3DOM50[/color] promo code for 3 extra lifetime domains and $50 off
More Dreamhost coupons here!

Definitely!

Taking the tax advantages into consideration, np’s could reap extra benefits at no additional cost.

@OP: Which non-profit are you working with?

Thanks for all the advice! I don’t expect to need more than one domain as my organization is primarily interested in simply having accurate information about our opening times and admissions up on the web. I work with a small county museum whose website hasn’t been updated since 2001. I wanted to be sure that DH wouldn’t tag the site with advertising like other free non-profit deals do before I make any recommendations.

We have a bunch of domains hosted on a free DreamHost non-profit account. No advertising. No extra limits. It’s really what they say it is. Free shared hosting, just like any other shared hosting account you’d get from them, except they don’t charge you anything for it.