No right click script

apps

I have a No Right Click script that works on another host but not on DreamHost. Can anyone help me with this or has a script that works on DreamHost? Thanks Dan

I have no idea why such a script would be host-specific. I would like to point out that such scripts are a complete waste of time, because they can be disabled by simply turning JavaScript off.

Simon Jessey
Keystone Websites | si-blog

Not to mention they are freaking annoying, because they disable useful browser UI. I often use context menu for choosing “Back” and trust me, before Firefox had the ability to block sites from changing this behavior, I never visited a web site that attempted to “no right click” twice. Talk about a good way to make a bad first impression.

:cool: Perl / MySQL / HTML+CSS

[quote]I have a No Right Click script that works on another host but not on DreamHost. Can anyone help me with this or has a script that works on DreamHost? Thanks Dan
[/quote]
That’s client side only, JavaScript. They don’t work, are annoying and tend to turn your users AWAY from the site more than anything.

Not to mention both Fx and Opera (and maybe Safari) come with built in features to disable that bs.

What everyone else said.

I make extensive use of right-click to open links in new tabs (rather than lose my place in the site I’m reading, or to prevent things from opening in a new window, which drives me nuts). I also use it to copy/paste links and to access an “undo close tab” browser extension I have installed.

If a site tries to disable right-click, I won’t be back. Adding insult to injury is the fact that many sites that use this kind of script return an insulting popup when you try to use right click–one site had a popup that called me a thief, just because I wanted to use right-click to open links in a new tab because every freakin link on the site opened in a new window. You can be damn sure I didn’t waste any more of my time there.

And if you’re trying to prevent people from stealing your graphics, even without disabling javascript there are other ways people can do that. This script will deter honest people from visiting your site, but it won’t deter dishonest people from stealing your content.

[quote]What everyone else said.

[/quote]

Agreed - I too do not repeat visits to sites that do this. Also, since they are client side, they are extremely simple to work around if you really want to.

The best way to deal with copyright infringement, in my opinion, is to educate yourself on the DMCA notification process and use it as needed.

• Jeff @ DreamHost
  • DH Discussion Forum Admin

Allow me to echo what others have said: disabling right clicks functionality is simply stupid. Sites doing that give me the impression that the owners/webmasters are paranoid or plain ignorant (e.g. a simple printscreen will do the trick for web images). I don’t intentionally dump them, but I can’t recall any site that I visit on a regular basis doing that.

To have lived is not enough for them, they have to talk about it. – Samuel Beckett

Thanks for the input guys. Being a newbe to all this suff I can use all input. Guess I will not use it after all.

Dan

Whilst I generally agree with the majority opinion above, when you’re working within an industry where most of your competitors/customers don’t know how to disable JavaScript and have never heard of the Print Screen key (obviously we’re not talking about the IT industry), and where the issue isn’t so much blatant stealing (re: copyright) but a more vague “idea theft” – disabling right-clicks arguably has its place. ::ducks any flying objects::

Probably just your JavaScript got screwed up – perhaps you edited the page? It’s really easy to make JavaScript go haywire. :slight_smile: There are loads of disable-right-click scripts available on the web; just Google it. They’re basically cut-and-paste. Or try restoring an earlier version of your page from when it worked.

To everybody else: I don’t mean for this to sound like a rant – it just sort of irks me a bit when someone asks a genuine question and instead of getting a complete and helpful answer, they mostly just get berated for asking. I do agree with y’all (and you’ll find right-clicks are uninhibited on all my sites), except in the situation I outlined and similar situations. :slight_smile:

[quote]To everybody else: I don’t mean for this to sound like a rant – it just sort of
irks me a bit when someone asks a genuine question and instead of getting a
complete and helpful answer, they mostly just get berated for asking.

[/quote]

This is true, and if I came across that way I do apologize.

I guess I’ll reiterate it like this: Use of these sorts of scripts is highly discouraged for the reasons people mention, and there are very few places (in my personal opinion) where it would make sense.

However, should one feel that it is something they want it should work fine with DreamHost, as it’s an entirely client-side technique and doesn’t depend on anything on the server. If it doesn’t work, it’s probably misconfigured somehow.

• Jeff @ DreamHost
  • DH Discussion Forum Admin

I don’t think it’s been mentioned but have you switched over to Firefox? That’s pretty strict about JS and won’t run if it encounters an error. Try going to Tools, Javascript console and seeing if your site has thrown up any errors. If you don’t use JS, you should ^_^. You should make sure your site works in the seond most popular browser :stuck_out_tongue:

Java Script is work fine i use it by my self in our community you can check here

http://h2kmatrix.com

Try this:
On your site write the following message at the top or bottom of your pages:

“This site ses an honor system for its copyright protection. Please don’t right click.”

================================
I’d give my right arm to be ambidexterous!