No mail and panel down

I haven’t received any email for the past 5 or so hours and am unable to log into the control panel. Obviously something is up.

Does anyone have a lead time on the mail being back up again? I’m expecting some rather important stuff.

Thanks!

It did take about 20 seconds to get into the web admin panel, but I could get in there. Seems like it has slowed down quite a bit. Did you get an error?

I am not having problems with mail at this time. I am on Spork.

[quote]I haven’t received any email for the past 5 or so hours

[/quote]

Not seen here on murdock FWIW.

Do you have JF enabled? This can cause long delays and you might want to set up a mirro mailbox un-JFed for backup accesss.

[quote]and am unable to log into the control panel. Obviously something is up.

[/quote]

Same here on and off over the last 3 hours. But I think this is just the usual panel outage problem and unconnected with mail outage.

[quote]20 seconds

[/quote]

8 minutes here. It seems the problem is not slowdown but many small total outages, since if during such a delay I independently open the panel home page, it fails with “Temporarily unavailable… database maintenance”. (No mention on Emergency Status though.)

So it only appears as slowdown because DH haven’t set the Unavailable message to appeat on any of the actual operational panel pages.

[quote]Do you have JF enabled? This can cause long delays and you might want to set up a mirro mailbox un-JFed for backup accesss.

[/quote]

I do, but wouldn’t creating a mirror make having the JF pretty pointless?

Incidentally, how do I figure out which server I’m on?

Not pointless. The point is, as I said:

how do I figure out which server I’m on?

[/quote]

Assuming you mean find out which server a mailbox is on (other services can be on other servers) then… there’s no direct way to my knowledge, not since the Mailboxes sub-tab was removed last year.

For a user mailbox (not a m####### mailbox) the best way I’ve found it to try to delete it - the Panel then shows a list of servers in which that user has instances.

If someone knows a better way, please do say.

I’ve used mail and the panel several times this morning.

Do you know what servers you’re on?

The Panel works fine now (for the time being anyway!) but I’m still having problems with mail. Some is getting through now, but any test ones I sent to myself aren’t and I know there are a few other emails I’ve been sent today that I haven’t received.

<Incidentally, how do I figure out which server I’m on?>

go to the domains tab, select dns, and it will tell you mail on (your server name)

Ok, I’m on Jareth.

[quote]Not pointless. The point is, as I said:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Hehe. Ok, you win. :slight_smile:

[quote]<Incidentally, how do I figure out which server I’m on?>

go to the domains tab, select dns, and it will tell you mail on (your server name)

[/quote]

No “DNS” found under Domains tab here.

Well, you do have a point! :wink: Having a backup that fills with junk is risky, since if it overfills, incoming mail senders will get bounce messages (and confusing ones, given the DH DFR problems). And though one might hope you could protect against this using “Remove read messages…” I’;ve found in practice it doesn’t work, esp. again spam-bombs.

But its the only defence again JF problems I know. I do hope someone can suggest another! Aprt from not using JF, that is :wink:

[/quote]

No “DNS” found under Domains tab here.

Hmmmm… I have overview, manage, add domain, registrations, transfer, web, remap sub-dir, anon ftp, ip and dns under mine. I thought we all had the same web admin panel…anyone know if that is not true?

DNS isnt visible/available on the CDI domains.

-Jason

MP3Mystic Your personal Streaming MP3 Server
Dreamhost Hosting - Last one out, turn off the lights.

ah, thank you Jason. I had to look up what CDI was…lol

CDI: Crazy Domain Insane as in you’d have to be crazy if you think you can get a real host and email deliverd for 77 cents a month.

-Jason

MP3Mystic Your personal Streaming MP3 Server
Dreamhost Hosting - Last one out, turn off the lights.

Grins, I like that :slight_smile:

[/quote]

I have CDI.

Go to Domains > Manage

I see on that page that my site is on “mark” and my mail is on “murdock”.

How does that tell you which server a given mailbox is on? Given that mailboxes are not associated with domains and different domains may show different servers for mail.