Nine Hours and Counting

Still no sign of intelligent life at DreamHost.

What a complete and utter waste of oxygen they are!

I know it’s frustrating, but it takes one to know one.

Go get your refund, and quit spamming your discontent.

$1 for me << [color=#00CC00]SE7ENOF9[/color] | [color=#CC0000]SE7ENOF97[/color] >> All for you

I take it your site(s) are still not back up?

Strange, as my sites have been back up for over 2 hours now. Although I do not see an ‘all resolved’ message on dreamhoststatus.com just yet, so I imagine they are still working on the problem.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

It’s pretty obvious to me from the 25 posts you have made since January that you are one unhappy camper here. :frowning:

Fortunately, for you, Dreamhost has a 97 day Guarantee with a full refund available if you are not happy; If I were as unhappy as you are, I’d certainly avail myself of that.

Live is way too short to spend any significant amount of time irritated at a webhost. :wink:

–rlparker

Thank you for your valuable contribution, troll.

Only ~40% of the sites are back up.

Let’s not forget that nothing was actually broken until DreamHost started fixing things…

97 days would take me to the autumn of last year.

Well, then the 97 day Refund option is out :frowning: . I guess that means that (assuming you used a promo code to sign up) that you might have to actually walk away from a couple of bucks to change now. Let’s see, for a one-year pre-pay with a $97.00 promo codes that would cost maybe around $20?

–rlparker

Thanks for the ‘help’. If I want your assistance, I’ll know where to come.

Unlike most of the people around here who were probably asleep when DreamHost were messing around, I’ve been putting up with this outage for 10 hours so far.

The last ‘update’ was 5 hours ago when they laughingly claimed that “We are close to being 100%”. Nothing since.

Now you may be happy enough to accept poor service and that’s fine. Be happy. I’m not prepared to roll over and play dead. If I pay for a service, I expect that service to be provided. If it’s not, I’ll complain.

Why should I be put to even more trouble moving a shedload of domain names and web sites away?

Right now everything is working for me.

Get [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] Off with promo code :[color=#CC0000]97USA[/color] :cool: choose your plan (promo code included)

CaptainBlue -

You’re obviously not happy with the service you’re getting here and I can guarantee that you’re not paying enough to share this much grief with the world or DH staff.

Calling rlparker a troll really damaged the credibility I attributed to a fellow customer and human. Your multiple postings have all been trolling.

I do understand your feelings that the updates are disorganized and not frequent enough for our taste but there are a huge number of servers. Just because all the central equipment is back up and working doesn’t guarantee that the servers behind will be accessible. (this is a mistake on DH’s part) It will take time - notify them of the issue (hopefully the control panel is back up when you try) and they will get to it.

Now that I’ve had my say, I’m going to ignore all these “troll” posts about the downtime.

Wholly - IS NOT MY PROMO CODE. Even worse, I don’t get any credit for it. Use WhollyMindless for full credit. I’m really disappointed in someone.

Wholly,

Why don’t you try to show me where I called rlparker a troll? Then you can apologise…

I sure can - you called Se7enOf9 a troll.

I do apologize. I’ll review the messages and I may even agree with you that Se7enOf9 was trolling. (yeah, he kinda was trolling there.)

Please do accept my apology.

Wholly - IS NOT MY PROMO CODE. Even worse, I don’t get any credit for it. Use WhollyMindless for full credit. I’m really disappointed in someone.

And if you wish to complain, then those of us who actually enjoy the service here will complain about your complaints.
It’s very simple.

Such “complaining” is childish at best anyways. It gets nothing done except make you look like more of a fool. And that you are for continuing to host your sites here.

So move along and find something else to do. Sitting around waiting for “10 hours so far” is a clear sign you need to get outside.

Accepted.

I’d give you a virtual “fluffle” if I could reach you! ~:0)

So let’s get this right: you enjoy the service here but you reckon I’m a fool for hosting some site here? How does that work then?

And now it’s a winter’s evening here and I still can’t finish up my work until the servers and routers come back up. At which point I can also tell the 1700 members on one site what went wrong so that they know what happened.

It’s called “keeping people informed”.

Ya know, you are right. My last remark seemed more than a tad insensitive, but my attempt at “perspective” went awry. I was just trying to point out that, taken in it’s entirety, there is not that much money involved for you to be this unhappy.

Being “irritated”, sure! “Frustrated”, no doubt! But seriously, sitting around for 10 hours watching sites not come back up is kinda like the old saying the “watched pot never boils”.

Nobody is “happy” with “poor service”, but “happy” and “poor” are relative. I’m not pleased my, and my clients’, sites were down for a few hours; but I am not about to make it into a bigger deal than it is either. I, and my clients, read the TOS when we decided to host our sites here. We decided the risks, and lack of an SLA, were worth it for the features and price. To now act all tweaked and bent because there was an outage would be as disingenuous as it would be ignorant.

All I have been saying to you is that you are torturing yourself needlessly; if your unhappiness over all this is as severe as you represent you should make your own life easier and move your stuff. As for why you should be put to “even more trouble moving a shedload of …”, that answer is simple - the decision you made to host the “shedload” at DH was obviously not a wise one given your expectations. It certainly is not DH’s problem; they delivered exactly what they promised in the TOS, which you might want to re-read if you seriously believe they have not met their obligations to you for the "service " for which you paid. :wink:

–rlparker

You were informed. More than 48 hours beforehand in fact.

I personally enjoy the service here because I couldn’t host the same thing at home, or get the same service cheaper elsewhere.

You apparently need better service. So again I’ll ask, why don’t you just move on to another host? Stop complaining, because it’s just not going to do you or anyone else any good other than continue this long and pointless debate, because all of us have different expectations of our host.

Couldn’t have said things better rlparker. Thanks for better wording the situation that I couldn’t come up with myself :slight_smile:

The problem is that all the end users see is a big fat nothing.

What makes it all the more galling is that nothing was actually broken at 00:00PST, but it is now, still, some 11 hours later.

The original maintenance by the building owners was preventative. That was done. Now it’s all in DH’s court. And they’re the ones letting us all down.

And yes, I’ve very aware of the ToS which is why I’m not going all “I’m suing!” in a noob way. ~:0)

I adminster hundreds of domain names and lots of web sites for me, my friends and for clients, so the load is spread around a great deal. Horses for courses and all that.

On paper, DreamHost offer a number of advantages over other hosts and most of the time they deliver. Today’s complete and utter shambles simply adds to the grief we had earlier this week with the PHP ‘upgrade’…