Newsletter limitation?

Hi

I am hosting an online community about mobile phones ,
http://www.mobile-fun.org and am currently sending a monthly newsletter to my members…
As the number of members is growing fast, I’m wondering what is the limitation on the newsletter distribution ?
It is a short text only email , and I’ve sent it to 1000 users, but do I need to worry when I have 10,000 or 50,000 users ?
thanks

Affordable logo, graphic design and web development
Spice up your cell - free Themes and ringtones

[quote]As the number of members is growing fast, I’m wondering what
is the limitation on the newsletter distribution ?

[/quote]

There are two issues to be concerned about - administrative and policy related.

Administrative: For practical administrative reasons we limit the amount of email that can be sent from an account. If you run into problems, please contact us and we may be able to increase it a bit. However, this will require that you provide evidence showing that you are in full compliance with our anti-spam policies, as described below.

Policy: Administrative issues aside, we require that any form of bulk email sent in conjunction with our services (either from our servers or in promotion of sites that we host) is handled in a manner 100% consistent with our anti-spam policies. Most importantly this means that A) all subscribers must have personally asked to be placed on your list, B) you must use an opt-in confirmation process wherein each subscriber is first sent an email with a tagged link in it that they must click before being added to the list, and C) all opt-in confirmations must be logged with the associated date/time/IP and that information provided to DreamHost personnel upon request.

http://www.dreamhost.com/spam.html

If you’re looking for an “officially supported” bulk email feature, our Announcement List functionality can provide that for you. It supports opt-in confirmation and logging, and is the safest and easiest way to get started (there is also no limit on maximum recipients).

[quote]It is a short text only email , and I’ve sent it to 1000 users,
but do I need to worry when I have 10,000 or 50,000 users ?

[/quote]

Aside from the administrative issue mentioned above, we don’t really look at the size of a distribution. Whether it’s sent to 1000 recipients (which is still fairly sizable) or 10,000, you must be fully compliant with our anti-spam policies.

• Jeff @ DreamHost
  • DH Discussion Forum Admin

DH is maybe not the best for newsletters.

For a near 100% anti-anti-spam newsletter, use google groups.

Get [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] Off with promo code :[color=#6600CC]97USD[/color] :cool: use “moua” as referrer

Thanks for the information, folks…

I will look into the Announcement list - it sounds like a really nice features.

Google groups and Yahoo groups are nice but will take visitors away from your site

Affordable logo, graphic design and web development
Spice up your cell - free Themes and ringtones