Newbie /site probs

Hello all,

Good to be here.

Now, I know a lot of this is going to sound foolish but I’m new to this sort of stuff. Apologies.

First thing: I’ve uploaded my files I’m just getting the html folder page rather than going direct to the index.html page.

I’m getting this:

Index of /

Name Last modified Size Description

html/ 23-Sep-2007 03:16 -

Obviously, I’ve neglected something - something very simple I’ll bet.

Secondly, I made a lot of these pages in FrontPage which I know is evil. So, I’ll stop that. I have Dreamweaver and and an FTP program. At the moment the pages are not reproducing properly. I guess this is due to the FrontPage extensions not being activated. And I was warned against this. So, the upshot is, I should make my pages again in dreamweaver and start over right?

I’m trying to set up a charity site for terminally ill kids and to a deadline so It’s real important I sort all this out quickly.

Thanks very much for your help in advance,

T.

It seems to have put everything in a folder named “html”. You just need to somehow get the files to upload to the web root folder, I think.

Free unique IP and $67 off with code [color=#CC0000]LMIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LM97[/color] for $97 off. Click for more promo code discounts

Hey Lensman,

Thanks for your response. Yes, that seems logical. I’ll sort that out and see what happens.

Cheers,

T.

Ok, well… I now still get the INDEX OF page (Name/ Last modified/ Size Description/ Etc.) but no folders and no home page.

How do I get the index.html to appear as the home page? can’t think what I’m not doing wrong.

Thanks in advance.

T.

[quote]Ok, well… I now still get the INDEX OF page (Name/ Last modified/ Size Description/ Etc.) but no folders and no home page.

How do I get the index.html to appear as the home page? can’t think what I’m not doing wrong. [/quote]
Unless you’ve overridden your .htaccess with a DirectoryIndex directive, index.html should be the default page shown for a directory.

Since the directory listing for your web root now seems to be empty, I’m guessing that your files have been uploaded to the wrong directory again.

Let me explain the DreamHost directory structure:

1. Your user’s home directory is /home/yourusername/
  2. The default web root directory for a domain yourdomain.tld is either /home/yourusername/yourdomain.tld/ or /home/yourusername/www.yourdomain.tld/

I think you may have inadvertently uploaded your files into the /home/yourusername/ directory instead of the /home/yourusername/yourdomain.tld/ directory. Could you check to make sure your files are in the correct directory?

Free unique IP and $67 off with code [color=#CC0000]LMIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LM97[/color] for $97 off. Click for more promo code discounts

Well, one problem dealt with, but now another crops up.

Thanks Lensman for your suggestions previously. I wonder if you know what’s going on here…

I’m using a free template from the web from here: http://andreasviklund.com/

I’m using dreamweaver for editing. I’ve uploaded it for a test but it’s coming up without any formatting at all. Everything is lined up one thing after another.

What am I doing wrong?

T.

I suspect I’m going to be less help than one of the other fine gentlemen here, but I’ll ask a few questions for their benefit.

What is the file type of the file? It sounds like the mime type isn’t being set correctly. It would help if you posted the actual script or link to the script.

Just guessing at this point, but it sounds like your website is not reading the css file. If dreamweaver is set to use an external css file then that file has to be upload as well and in the location your website expects it to be.
Silk

My website