Newbie problems wp.com to wp.org

Hello All,
I’m new here and having some trouble… sorry if this is covered elsewhere, but I couldn’t find my situation using the search tool.

Situation:
I have had a wordpress.com (tw*****.com) site for a year or so, now I want to use a paid theme and host on dreamhost.

I bought the theme, downloaded to my local drive.

Set up hosting for my existing URL on DH, installed WP ( at tw*****.com ) on DH using 1-click, and received the install confirmation message and email.

Set up a dreamhosters mirror to host the new theme to import new theme and content and style it there.

Problems:
No FTP access… cannot log in using supplied credentials.

Cannot access wordpress.org admin using login supplied in the confirmation email. Each time I try to log in, I’m directed to a 404 page at my wp.COM address

As a result I’m stuck at this point, going in circles…

I’m sure the problem is my lack of knowledge, but I really don’t know where to turn.

Advice/ help please…?

thanks

Tyler

Until you change your domain to stop pointing at wordpress.com and start pointing to DreamHost, you won’t be able to use it for FTP. But fear not!

You can use our DreamHosters subdomain - http://wiki.dreamhost.com/WordPress#DreamHosters - to set up your site, and then transfer the domain over when it’s done. :slight_smile:

That will let you FTP in and do everything you need for setup.

thanks for the help. :slight_smile:
Finally got it going after quite some nervous moments.