New WordPress gives MySQL error

apps

I updated to the latest WordPress using the one-click installs page on two blogs. One went just fine and there are no problems. The other now has an error message in the sidebar that I can’t get rid of. It reads:

WordPress database error: [You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ‘ASC’ at line 1]
SELECT * FROM wp_categories WHERE cat_ID > 0 AND link_count > 0 ORDER BY cat_id- ASC

I updated the database via the link that arrived in my e-mail just as I did for the other blog. I uninstalled and reinstalled all plugins. I still can’t get rid of it. It isn’t a theme error because it reappears in more than one theme.

Help!

I believe its the ‘-’ before the ASC. The asc is fine as its just doing ascending order but the dash before it looks weird.

Ronnie Tanner
Online Backup

I got the same error message when updating to 2.1 (I think).
On two different installs on two differents servers with different themes. I used veryplaintxt on one at the time upgrading and found that the version that was included with the install was not updated, there was a later version. Installed that one and the error message went away.
I have forgotten what theme I used on the other one, but did some testing.
One theme that works with 2.1.1 is “White and Clean 1.0”.
You could experiment a bit with the latest themes just to finally rule out that it is not theme related.