New Users Creation

How long does it take for a new user to be created from the cPanel?

I created 2 last night, and today woke up to find that they haven’t been created yet or shown on the list as it said last night would take only a few minutes. On a positive note, at least the email is actually working for those accounts now, but I’m just a bit curious, I thought creating new users would mean new directories would be created under my root ftp account for which the new user would be able to access.

I’m assuming you created FTP / SFTP / Shell users. To confirm the users have been setup on the system, try logging into FTP / Shell as those users. If you can but they still don’t appear on the Manage Users page, contact support. If FTP / Shell doesn’t work, see if you created a mailbox-only by mistake on Manage Email page.

There is no such thing as a root FTP account. Each user on the system, including the mailbox-only users, get a home directory that is separate from that of other users. The first user you have is just that: the first.

You do not have a “super user” either. If you need to manage files owned by another user on your plans, simply login as that user. If you are up to it, check out using Unix Groups and permissions.

For FTP protocol, users are chroot’ed to their home directory. However SFTP is not.

:cool: openvein.org -//- One-time [color=#6600CC]$50.00 discount[/color] on [color=#0000CC]DreamHost[/color] plans: Use ATROPOS7

Ok, so I was able to login with the created accounts. They do not log in to a directory in the ftp which is created just for them (or at least I’m not sure what’s happening). And the problem remains of them not appearing on my users list.

I’m just a little confused here. Say for example my address is www.address.com. If I created a user named “ben” then the files they dump are brought to www.address.com/ben or am I wrong?

As of your problem isn’t solved and Mr. Atropos suggested before, send a support ticket. And when you created the ftp user if you associated the user with a subdirectory of a directory which is associated with your domain then the users default directory will be “yourdomain.com/thatsubdirectory

Promo code:[color=#CC0000]MAXDH=$97off[/color]
6D7=7domain+$7#UIP67=1 IP+$67#2XDS=200%disk

Actually, I think the problem you are having is that they do “log into a directory that is created just for them”, but that you are confused as to where that directory is. The new user’s directory is created as a “sibling” of (or parallel to) your first user’s directory, immediately beneath /home. :wink:

Yep, you’ve gotten that bit confused. If you created a user named “ben”, then the files uploaded by that user will be in directory named /home/ben/, while your “main” user has a directory named /home/yourusername (which contains the “www.address.com” directory).

You might find it helpful to review the DH wiki Account Layout article, as well as the user information article and the DH Wiki article on allowing an FTP user to access a subdirectory of an existing website (which is what is sounds like you are trying to do with “www.address.com/ben”).

–rlparker

[quote]when you created the ftp user if you associated the user with a subdirectory of a directory which is associated with your domain then the users default directory will be “yourdomain.com/thatsubdirectory
[/quote]
No, this is not true. you can “associate” a domain with a directory, or subdirectory, in this way, but not a user. You can review the Wiki sections I referenced in my reply to the OP for further information.

Did you ever establish a hosting account at DH, or are you still primarily participating in threads as a promo code distribution mechanism? :wink:

–rlparker