New User: Installing Wordpress

Hello,

I have been attempting to run wordpress but I seem to be stuck at the very end. So far I have created a database and a user for the database. Downloaded the latest version of Wordpress (v2.8.2) and uploaded it with my FTP program.

In the wp-config file of Wordpress I have changed and saved the appropriate values (database name/username/password/hostname) but cannot reach the Wordpress installation page when i try to reach it via:

www.mydomainname.com/wp-admin/install.php

Am I going about this the completely wrong way?

I appreciate any help that I can get with this.

Thank you very much.

Yes. When diagnosing a problem in addition to describing what should happen you also need to describe what happens instead. And if you are following a set of instructions link to them as well since not all computer systems are the same and you might need to make corrections to account for different configurations. In addition if you see a web page that mentions “Internal Server Error” there may very well be a reason for that entered in ~/logs/mydomainname.com/http/error.log

Were you following the instructions at http://codex.wordpress.org/Installing_WordPress or somewhere else?

Customer since 2000 :cool: openvein.org

Yes those are the instructions I am following.

The information that comes up when i type in www.incitingincidents.com/wp-admin/install.php is as follows:

Not Found

The requested URL /wp-admin/install.php was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

I hope I have provided enough information so the problem can be diagnosed further.

Once again thank you for all of your help.

[quote]The information that comes up when i type in www.incitingincidents.com/wp-admin/install.php is as follows:

Not Found

The requested URL /wp-admin/install.php was not found on this server.[/quote]
The WordPress files were not uploaded to the correct directory.

1. Log in to the DreamHost Web Panel
  2. Go to Domains -> Manage Domains and “Edit” incitingincidents.com
  3. On this page, note the “FTP user / CGI-runs-as user” value
  4. Further note the value for “Specify your web directory”

The default action of the web server (Apache) is to map a url-path from a URL to a file system path so it can send a file to the web browser. What DH calls the “web directory” is the top-most directory it starts looking for files in. Apache calls it the “document root” but the WordPress instructions call it the “web server root directory”. Yours is empty.

You need to make sure to log in as the user from step #3 and make sure you have uploaded the files to the directory in step #4. When you log in, usually the initial directory is your home directory and you should see at least 3 directories, Maildir, logs, and incitingincidents.com. You want to make sure that wp-admin is a subdirectory of incitingincidents.com - then you can browse to the /wp-admin/install.php in your browser.

Customer since 2000 :cool: openvein.org

Perfect, that got it running.

Thank you once again for your help.