New panel layout: where are the "services"?

The tab https://panel.dreamhost.com/index.cgi?tree=domain.manage& shows the domains and subdomains I have. Wasn’t it also here that we used to be able to specify whether each (sub)domain had mail and other services?

I ask because I want to turn OFF the mail service for a domain, and with the new layout I don’t know where I do that anymore!

TorbenGB
Try out DreamHost with a free WebIDChoose a plan!

I’m having the exact same problem/confusion. Just setup a new subdomain and want to deactivate the mail service on it like I did with the other ones I created, however looked all over and can’t find it! Can’t even find it in the KB!

Any help appreciated!

[quote]Wasn’t it also here that we used to be able to specify whether
each (sub)domain had mail and other services?

[/quote]

Yup. That seems to have totally disappeared.

You’d think DH would have learnt their lesson about such things after the big mess-up of last summer, which removed the list of mailboxes, stil not restored. Sigh.

The new panel totally screwed me up, too. It took me half an hour to figure out how to add a subdomain again. What the hell is going on? All I want is to reduce unnecessary crap by removing email services from my subdomains (None of which will have their own email accounts), and…OOPS! GUESS WHAT?! Can’t do it anymore.

[quote]The new panel totally screwed me up, too. It took me half an hour to figure out how to add a subdomain again. What the hell is going on?

[/quote]

To be fair, we shouldn’t judge others’ learning curves by ours.

To have lived is not enough for them, they have to talk about it. – Samuel Beckett

Ahh, good I’m not alone or going mad. Tried everything and I can’t figure it out either.

[quote]OOPS! GUESS WHAT?! Can’t do it anymore.

[/quote]

Have Support confirmed this?

I see no such judgement in that post. If your faster learning has found a workaround, please do educate us sluggards.

https://panel.dreamhost.com/index.cgi?tree=mail.addresses& ?

Er, no.

We’re talking about how, previously, every domain and subdomain, listed what services were set up on it, and you could disable things like the mail.

Hey,

We removed the ability to enable or disable email because we figured “hey, having 0 email addresses is like disabling email!”

But now we see people get annoyed by the extra dns entries. So we’re working on making it so when you have 0 email addresses it won’t add those extra dns entries, and as soon as you add one, it automatically adds the necessary ones!

It should begin behaving like this on Monday.

josh!

Thanks! I’m sure I speak for everyone when I say that it’ll be much appreciated. :slight_smile:

[quote]So we’re working on making it so when you have 0 email addresses it
won’t add those extra dns entries, and as soon as you add one, it
automatically adds the necessary ones!

[/quote]

Uh? Won’t that unnecessarily add a DNS propagation delay to the time taken for the added email address to start to work?

This sounds like making a complicated scheme out of a simple matter…?
Wasn’t the old way much easier, more or less simply selecting [x] MAIL if you wanted mail?

TorbenGB

You’re working on this but it’s not in place yet? So what happens if I add an address to a domain where I previously turned off mail service? The service isn’t turned on because your new mechanism isn’t in place yet, so I don’t get the mail service turned on and I can’t turn it on by myself.

TorbenGB

Just so everyone knows, this functionality has been live for several days now. The mail service on a domain is added and removed automatically when you add and remove addresses.

• Dallas
  • DreamHost Head Honcho/Founder