New hosting account

I sent DH a check last Sunday night (June 10 2007). Today is Saturday June 16. How long does it take before I get my email about my new hosting account?

Thanks. :slight_smile:

You can always write into sales and ask. As this is primarily a customer-to-customer forums, no one here can answer your question I’m afraid.

Chips N Cheese - Custom PHP installs and the like!

If you actually put a check in the USPS, I’d be patient. The postal service will take from 7 to 14 days to deliver a letter. Then DH needs to deposit the check and wait for it to clear which can take from 5 to 10 business days. By that, you may have a bit to wait yet for your account.

–Matttail
art.googlies.net - personal website

Those numbers seem a bit high, but I’m sure the OP gets the message: Sending a physical check in the mail is bound to be slow. The mail was picked up on Monday. USPS will generally deliver mail in one to five business days, unless either endpoint is Alaska, Hawaii, or some similarly “remote” area.

Checks will clear between one to five business days as well, depending on whether the financial institution is a bank directly connected to the federal reserve system or another financial institution that will have to clear through such a bank. It also depends on whether the funds can clear within a single federal reserve district or whether they have to go between districts.

Finally, there’s also DreamHost processing time. I dunno if there’s a special P.O. Box that you send checks to, but it wouldn’t surprise me if it added a few extra days to account for mail pickup, processing, and accounting department time at DreamHost (though most businesses will process receivables much more efficiently than payables!) :slight_smile:

I’d hazard a guess that it will be two to three weeks from the time you put the check in the mail. Sorry for the gory details.

Amusing trivia factoid: The postal service used to deliver mail three times a day in NYC. So you could put a letter in the mail in the morning and it would be delivered in the afternoon!

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

You’re right, my numbers are a little out of norm, but I believe are the ‘official’ time lines you’ll get from the post office. They do generally make it across the US with a letter in 5 or 6 days, but there’s no promise of that. In fact if the USPS looses a letter or package they won’t investigate it for a full 30 from when it was sent. Till then it’s still apparently acceptable delivery time.

–Matttail
art.googlies.net - personal website

Thanks everyone. Just wanted to let you know that DH activated my account 9 days after I sent the check. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
I’m pleased with the service I’ve received so far.

[quote]Thanks everyone. Just wanted to let you know that DH activated my account 9 days after I sent the check. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
I’m pleased with the service I’ve received so far.[/quote]
Thanks for keeping us posted! I’m sure those with similar questions who come after you will appreciate your providing this information as well.

Welcome to DreamHost and do feel free to come here with any questions you may have - particularly about hosting and webmastering! (though we’ll give it a shot if you have questions about pet training and independent filmmaking)

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

From another post there is experience that it took 2 weeks. One of the problem my because of Google payment delay to Dreamhost. But maybe you should contact support from the web panel or write to them directly (support at dreamhost.com).

Dino

Get YOUR $97 off on yearly plan with [color=#CC0000]YOUGET97 [/color] promo code. Sign Up NOW

I’m guessing you didn’t read that he was all set up now before posting.

Wholly - Use promo code WhollyMindless for full 97$ credit. Let me know if you want something else!