New Dreamhost Client

Good Afternoon everyone.

I just got my account put through today, after a delay on faxing.

I was told my domain was activated www.shadysquirrel.net
my webmail was activated
and ftp was activated.
I’m able to login fine with my ftp client, but its still showing shadysquirrel.net nonexistant.

I’m just wondering if this is normal, and/or is there another way to view my content backend? www.dreamhost.com/user/username/index?

Thanks,

Travis.

darn no reply :frowning:

What? No reply yet? After 7 minutes? Darn! :wink:

Easy there, Travis! Patience is a virtue. The posters on this forum are just customers like yourself, and will generally answer you eventually - but ususally not within 7 minutes.

Yes, it is normal (I assume you are talking about viewing the content in a browser). The domain has to be updated in the DNS system for the IP address DH assigned to it to be accessible via a browser. This can take anywhere from a few minutes to several days, will take effect for some visitors to your site before it will for others, and there is nothing you can do to hurry it along.

If you really want to trouble shoot your site from a browser before it goes “live” via DNS, read this Dreamhost Wiki article on viewing a site before DNS changes. Good Luck! :slight_smile:

–rlparker

Thanks

I got it to work, doing some changes that when then the domain is up i will need to reverse ASAP.

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\host

IP listed in Dreamhost Panel “DNS” shadysquirrel.net
IP listed in Dreamhost Panel “DNS” www.shadysquirrel.net

yay :slight_smile: squirrels look good with ak’s

Good Deal! Yea, that way also sometimes works for a “quickie” as long as DH doesn’t change the IP address on you :wink: . With any luck, DNS will have “propagated” before that happens.

–rlparker

Its taking to long :frowning:

That’s just the nature of DNS propagation, there is nothing you can do to speed it up.

As rlparker said, it can take minutes or a few days for the DNS information to fully propagate. I’m afraid all you can do is sit tight and wait, it will happen eventually. :slight_smile:

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]SAVEMONEY[/color] ( Click for promo code details )

WOOO!!!

It Propagated this morning at about 2am.

Remember that it’s only propagated to you, and not necessarily the rest of the world. I’ve had one case where it took 5 days.

-Scott