New customer questions

Hello. I’m thinking of signing up for dreamhost, but have a couple of questions.

First question: I’m not a complete idiot, but can someone explain the following to me? From the basic email help page:
"<…snip> set your outgoing (SMTP) email server to be mail.yourdomain.com, and if you have an option to specify a port, you can change it from 25 (the default) to 587. Also, be sure to select that “my server requires authentication”
<…>
Snag: Most outgoing mail can be intercepted by another user who on his panel has added bogus mail services for external domains he doesn’t own.
Workaround: Use a non-Dreamhost SMTP server."

??? I don’t understand the snag statement…

Second question: Am I reading correctly that we can use dreamhost’s smtp servers, and their announce lists, and send unlimited emails out? I’m not sending UCE, nor selling anything (I work for a church), but we do need to be able send announcements out to ~300 addresses, sometimes several times a week (but sometimes only once a month!).

Third (or second-and-a-half) question: We also have different/multiple announce lists which parishioners sign themselves up for. I’m assuming dreamhost’s announce list software offers this?

Thanks in advance,
–kristine

I don’t know how but I think it is saying it is possible for someone to set up a bogus mail account that intercepts mail from other dreamhost domains, I doubt they could do anything with information contained in church announcements though.

As to the email question there is an outgoing quota of 100 adresses per hour http://wiki.dreamhost.com/Smtp-quota.

Get [color=#00CC00]$97 DISCOUNT[/color] with [color=#CC0000]DISCOMBO97[/color] > More Codes

[quote]As to the email question there is an outgoing quota of 100 adresses per hour http://wiki.dreamhost.com/Smtp-quota.
[/quote]
You might note, however, that this quota is not an issue for DH announce lists (using the DH panel installed announce list software), as per this section of the DH wiki article on Announcement Mailing Lists. :slight_smile:

–rlparker

Here are details for the list :

http://wiki.dreamhost.com/KB_/Account_Control_Panel/Mail::_Announce_Lists

About the smtp quota : the announce list is not inclued, is it ?

Get [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] Off with promo code :[color=#CC0000]97USA[/color] :cool: -->choose your plan (promo code included)

DHs email services are well featured. Therefore you might also try ‘Google Apps For Your Domain’. Thats also well featured and also free. But if you want,you can also get paid service that’s more featured.

Promo codes:[color=#CC0000]MAXDH=$97 off[/color],[color=#00CC00]D82=2domain $82, 6D7=7domain $7, UIP67=1 IP $67, DB5=150%disk&bw $7, 2xDS=200%disk $7[/color]

Dreamhost used to get some complain on their email services.

So, you might try to configure your emails to gmail as suggested by others.

Here is can find how to do so :
http://www.google.com/support/a/bin/answer.py?answer=37956

PromoCode
FULL_97_OFF <-CLICK = host 1 yr for $22.4
[color=#CC0000]LIFE_IP_67_OFF
2_DOMS_67_OFF
3_DOMS_52_OFF[/color]

[quote]Snag: Most outgoing mail can be intercepted by another user who on his panel has added bogus mail services for external domains he doesn’t own.
Workaround: Use a non-Dreamhost SMTP server."

??? I don’t understand the snag statement…[/quote]
This observation was made by Chrisjj on July 11, 2005. I’m not sure if it’s still true and you should probably check with DH support. I suspect that most people here ignore the problem, but anyone who thinks otherwise should speak up!

If taken at face value, it means that outgoing mail sent through DreamHost’s SMTP server can be directed to the wrong mailserver. The idea would stem from the SMTP server being configured to get its DNS resolution for MX from a local ns1.dreamhost.com entry rather than an authoritative answer from the domain’s real DNS server. For example, someone could set up a domain in their control panel for gmail.com and add an MX entry to receive all gmail.com email. This, of course, would be totally fraudulent and get someone banned, but Chrisjj thinks it could happen and that this is potential reason for not using DreamHost’s SMTP server.

I make no assurance about the veracity of this claim and leave it to smarter or more experienced folks to tell you if it is still true (or was every true).

Remember that the DreamHost support wiki is an open, collaborative source.

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options