New account

Just wondering :slight_smile:

I am looking at getting a new account. Doe anyone if its possible to view the new site without transferring the domain name straight away?

my existing site is fairly large and I am in the middle of rebuilding the backend (joomla/gallery) but its not finished. Its also the reason I am looking at Dreamhost.

So what I would LIKE to do is get the hosting but have time to transfer and complete the new site structure and then transfer the domain name itself… Obviously I would need to be able to view & test the new site without using the domain name.

Possible?

Yes, it is very easy to set-up that way. Dreamhost allows you to set up free subdomains on dreamhosters.com (as in yoursite.dreamhosters.com) which works very well for this purpose. Check out this Dreamhost wiki article about viewing your site before DNS is changed.

–rlparker

Yes, there are a couple of ways you can do this.

Firstly, you add your domain to the DreamHost system as ‘fully hosted’, even though the domain is currently hosted and active elsewhere, you just won’t be able to access the DreamHost version by it’s real domain name.

To access and test the site you can create a free dreamhosters.com sub-domain and set it to mirror the domain you added above. More information can be found in the wiki article below;

http://www.wiki.dreamhost.com/index.php/DNS_-_Viewing_site_before_DNS_change

Another option for accessing your site before you point the domain at DreamHost is to edit the hosts file on your computer, making the domain name resolve to the IP address of your DreamHost server.

Mark

Edit: Damn, beaten yet again by rlparker, I must learn to type faster :slight_smile:

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]SAVEMONEY[/color] ( Click for promo code details )

Others beat me to this link, but this one might also come in handy:

DNS - Accessing your Database before DNS change.

:stuck_out_tongue: Save up to $96 at Dreamhost with ALMOST97 promo code (I get $1).
Or save $97 with THEFULL97.

Ha Ha! Sorry 'bout that…I didn’t know it was a race!?! Well, the good news is that I don’t have a Promo Code or referrer link in play, so me “getting there first” doesn’t have any real impact :wink:

I just think it is great that a curious poster actually got three accurate answers within 6 minutes. That kinda rocks! :slight_smile:

–rlparker

No race, it’s just when I see a question thats already been answered I don’t normally reply, unless I feel I can add something.

However, I must be slowing down in my old age. When I see an un-answered question, that I actually know the answer to (not that common, but it does happen :slight_smile: ), I hit the reply button and begin to formulate my reply. The problem is, by the time I correct all my grammar/spelling errors, have a few sips of my coffee and actually hit submit, there has invariably been 1 or 2 better answers posted and I could have saved the effort :slight_smile:

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]SAVEMONEY[/color] ( Click for promo code details )

damn, I ame back to say never mind :slight_smile:

speed answers!! thank you :slight_smile: got it sussed. now trying to compile ffmpeg :(…

You try to compile ffmpeg on DH servers ?!
Why don’t you do such things on your own computer ?

Get [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] Off with promo code :[color=#6600CC]97USD[/color] :cool: use “moua” as referrer

That’s one of my least favorite things about this forum, compared to ones like vBulletin, etc… where when you preview your post, you can see if there are any new replies.

If I type up a reply here and get sidetracked, I end up opening the forum in another new tab and going back to the thread to see if it’s already been said. Not quite as convenient as hitting a “Preview Post” button. :wink:

:stuck_out_tongue: Save up to $96 at Dreamhost with ALMOST97 promo code (I get $1).
Or save $97 with THEFULL97.