Net2ftp slow, can't download backups

For the past couple weeks I’ve been trying to download a back up for my site but net2ftp just times out. I thought maybe it was just slow one day, so I tried again another day. And another. And again just now. Here’s what I’m doing that had no problems before:

Check the box next to the directory I want to back up.
Click either the download or zip button (neither works).

Thanks for any advice.

I think you will be much happier in the long run if you abandon the routine use of net2ftp (DreamHost’s webftp) and use a “real” ftp/sftp client. While it works “well enough” for occasional and light-weight use, most other ftp client software is more robust. These other clients also have some troubleshooting advantages, as you can often monitor the actual server messages.

There are many out there, and most people have their favorites, and many are “free”. The DreamHost wiki has a pretty good list of popular ftp clients for various operating systems: http://wiki.dreamhost.com/KB_/FTP/_Using_FTP_clients. You might want to obtain and try one of those; I think you will have much greater success. :wink:

–rlparker

I swear I got an email from DH a few weeks ago indicating that the storage provided was intended for files that are intended for “hosting”, not personal backups.

Now I also remember about a month before that DH shilling for a mac backup program.

I must admit confusion.

Wholly - Use promo code WhollyMindless for full 97$ credit. Let me know if you want something else!

I’m pretty sure the original poster was talking about downloading the files that comprise her site on DreamHost as a method of backing them up on her own computer.

–rlparker

Maybe I ought to read more carefully.

Wholly - Use promo code WhollyMindless for full 97$ credit. Let me know if you want something else!

I’d suggest trying Monsta FTP which is a more up-to-date web-based FTP client than net2ftp (which hasn’t been updated in years) www.monstaftp.com (disclaimer: I’m involved in this project)