Need some PHPMyadmin help

I have joomla and smf installed on one of my domains as well as the bridge. I have a tutorial on the smfwebsite im trying to understand. This is the instruction im having trouble with

1. Run this in phpMyAdmin
    Code:

CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS smf_forums (
forumName text NOT NULL,
catList varchar(128) NOT NULL default ‘’
) ENGINE=MyISAM DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1;

1. Go in and add your fields like the example above forumName is the name you’ll be passing in, catList are the category id’s you want to display for that forum. If your prefix isn’t smf_ , make sure to change it.

I tried it on my own with no success

I dont think i entered in the code properly. I went into phpmyadmin, i clicked on the sql button. It brought up a window called “Run SQL query/queries on database”, i entered the code

CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS smf_forums (
forumName text NOT NULL,
catList varchar(128) NOT NULL default ‘’
) ENGINE=MyISAM DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1;

and clicked go

it brought up a page saying “Your SQL query has been executed successfully (Query took 1.2207 sec)”

and below in a window was what i wrote in with a link for editing and a link saying “Create PHP Code” that is a and below that a window where i can edit what i wrote

what do i do after that

here is a link to the tutorial if anyone wants to see it or even reply on there http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=64492.180

First off you appear to have created the table okay judging by the message:-

“Your SQL query has been executed successfully (Query took 1.2207 sec)”

If the operation had failed you would know about it because phpmyadmin throws up a huge big [color=#CC0000]red[/color] error message.

You may not see the table smf_forums until you refresh/reload phpmyadmin. What I do is go to the database drop down on the left panel and select the information_schema database. Then back to the drop down and reselect your database. Now your new table will show up.

Without really knowing what you are trying to achieve I can only suggest that your next stage would be as suggested by Goosemouse in the forum link you posted.

The catlist numbers are the numbers of the categories you want to show up for each forum. You will need to add your category numbers into the database for it to work. If you look at the link to each category on your forum you can figure out what each number is. That will fix your empty forum problem.

Which suggests that you manually enter the catlist and forumname data which you can do from phpmyadmin using the Insert option and following the GUI. The Browse option will let you view your table.

I would suggest double checking the table smf_forums exists in the database and then go back to the Simple Machines forum and ask them again what details are entered into the table now you have created it.

Norm

Opinions are my own views, not DreamHosts’.
I am NOT a DreamHost employee OK!! :@

You act on my advice at your own risk!

i got the smf_forums made, i went in and clicked on insert and i got this page, where do i write the forum name and where do i write the catlist numbers? also whats a GUI?lol

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a237/BobbyCG/untitled.jpg

nm, i figured it out, thanks for the help

Okay :slight_smile:

GUI is Graphic User Interface. The fancy bit that phpmyadmin puts up on the screen. Like a form.

Norm

while your here though dont suppose you know what i have to do for this, i want to have seperate themes for each forum and these are the instructions but im not sure how to go about it, here is what they wrote:

Just letting people know this is how to associate a theme with each separate forum. Please bear with me I’m a newbie to php

Step1: Create a new field in the smf_forums table called forumTheme and set to int.

Step 2: in the new field you have created (forumTheme) put the ID_THEME number you wish to associate with the forum (found in smf_themes table)

In phpmyadmin click on the table smf_forums you created or click the “Structure” button to be in the right place.

Towards the middle of the right side is an line starting ‘Add’ under ‘Print View’.

It may have a 1 in the box already so just go over to the far right and click GO.

In the ‘Field’ box put forumTheme
(case matters so type exactly)

In the ‘Type’ box select from the dropdown ‘INT’

Click the “Save” button on the right and the new field will be added at the end of the table.

To fill in this new field with the data you need to click “Browse” to list the records. To the left is a small pencil icon which is the button you use to edit that particular record. Click it and the record will open for updating.
Just fill in the forumThem field with the number of the theme (ID_THEME). Click “Go” to update and that should be it.

Norm