Need help starting

Hey everyone. I just signed up today with my website. I want to use the site to share pictures and information on me and my family but I don’t know where to start. Can someone assit me? Thanks!

Jenny

Here’s a great K-base Article that will explane a lot of the basics.

This post may be of some help.

As that thread will sigguest NVU is a geat WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) web editing program. It’s free for starters, and it’s easy to use. There’s an FTP program bundled into the program to ship the website from your comptuer up to your DH server. There’s also a WIKI article to help you get the FTP settings right for your account (or search the forum and you’ll find instructions here as well)

You might consider using a photoblog or some other gallery type for your family photos. There is a oneclick install of Wordpress aviable in the panel for you, which is very easy to set up. You can do a simple google search for Wordpress photoblog, and that shoudl find you some instructions for setting up wordpress to handle lots of photos in a nice manner. (I might add that the photoblog instructions may not be as easy to set up as the blog it self.)

I’m really not familair with any photo galler type applications, but if your interested I’m sure some other people from this forum can point you in the right direction.

Hope this helps.

-Matttail

Or, instead of handcoding the pages yourself, consider :

– using the MediaWiki one-click install. This is a wiki system that allows you to click a link on your website “edit this page” and then just type like you would an e-mail. Forget about HTML.

– using Gallery to share your photos.

Wiki install: http://panel.dreamhost.com/index.cgi?tree=goodies.installer&
Gallery install: http://www.wombatnation.com/misc/installGalleryDreamHost.html

Pitfalls:

The MediaWiki is very easy to install and it has pretty good features to start with. As a more experienced wiki user however, I would recommend using TWiki instead which is harder to install.
I admit that setting up the Gallery is not trivial for a first-time user either, so perhaps you should wait with that, or get someone to help you.

TorbenGB
Try out DreamHost with a free WebIDPrices, options