Need help installing PHP5

I following the steps outlined in…
http://wiki.dreamhost.com/index.php/Installing_PHP5

But for some reason during the installation, after waiting like 30 my putty client times out. When I go to my webspace, all the files got downloaded and extracted but nothing got installed.

The reason I need this instalation of PHP5 is because I need to enable MBSTRING extension. Since DH won’t enable it, I have to install PHP5.

If anyone can help me out that would be great.

Sounds like your install is dieing cause of session time-out set in Putty. I’d suggest looking for some kind of timeout option and turning it off.

I know for a fact the remote servers don’t time you out as I’ve had ssh connections open for multiple days streight w/out a single timeout. Your putty is timing you out.

Er… that doesn’t seem like a good idea to me. I don’t know much about this sort of thing, but I would have thought there was some kind of limit to the number of connections allowed, which would mean that someone might not be able to connect because you’d have a session open for days on end.

Simon Jessey
Keystone Websites | si-blog

Not really as big of a deal as you might expect. For one, you can see all your current logins by using a ‘w’ command. Unlike Windows, Unix has no problems if you’re logged in on 100 different sessions or if you’re logged just into 1. It takes little resources.

Second, you can also view all your past logins using the ‘last’ command, so that you can audit your own logins to insure nobody’s trying to log in as you. I’d suggest creating a script to parse out the ‘last’ output looking for IPs/hosts you’re not coming from.

Yeah, it’s no big deal to leave logins open for long periods of time.

If you’re ever doing something that might be sensitive to an expected logout (for whatever reason), you can use an app like screen.

It’s a terminal-based window manager, and it lets you attach and detach to your different screen sessions. So if you get logged out, you can just reconnect and re-attach.

nate.