Need help fast please - MX

We had been using the mail service for one of 5 domains through Dreamhost. Now we want to put it on our internal mail server. I was told to deactivate the mail service and then add the MX entry. I did deactivate the mail service and tried adding an MX entry. I could add an A record for mail.mydomain.com but I couldn’t add an mx or an mxe record for mail.mydomain.com. I tried adding mail.mydomain.com mx mail.mydomain.com and mail.mydomain.com mx xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx - no luck. I have contacted tech support but we need our mail up right away and 6 hours have passed so far. If someone knows the answer, I would really appreciate the assist.

I tried through the DNS menu on the left with no luck
I also tried the MX record menu and I get the following
There is no mail service being provided for this domain.
This domain was probably set up manually. Please contact technical support for more help.

I think I figured a way to make an MX entry but I get a relay error. I used the following

mail MX then for value I put 10(SPACE) mail.mydomain.com.(period)

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

jdoe@mydomain.com

SMTP error from remote mailer after RCPT TO:jdoe@mydomain.com:

host mydomain.com [205.196.xxx.xx]: 554 jdoe@mydomain.com:

Relay access denied

The relay message went away after a few hours

DNS changes do not happen immediately so if a server sending email is using out of date DNS information the email may not go to the correct place and problems like you saw will happen. I’m glad it sorted itself out for you!

• Dallas
  • DreamHost Head Honcho/Founder