Need a little input on SSL

I read the wiki on setting up SSL here at Dream Host but I have a couple questions and hope someone can advise me. I will be using my own certificate and I understand everything in the DH,manage domain,secure hosting panel area until you get to the bottom boxes. What is the Private Key box and how do we generate the CSR? I need the CSR to set up my certificate which is coming from GoDaddy.

Here are some specific steps when using DreamHost and GoDaddy for Secure Hosting (HTTPS) and SSL Certificate.

GoDaddy
1 - Purchase domain name
2 - Purchase SSL Certificate (credit)
3 - Point custom nameservers to DreamHost

DreamHost
4 - Create domain account
5 - Obtain unique IP address
6 - Obtain secure hosting (don’t check “I already have a secure certificate”), just generate free CSR
7 - Copy and paste the entire contents between and including -----BEGIN CERTIFICATE REQUEST----- and -----END CERTIFICATE REQUEST----- into a text file on your computer for backup. That’s your CSR.

GoDaddy
8 - Activate SSL credit for that domain
9 - Paste CSR (including -----BEGIN CERTIFICATE REQUEST----- and -----END CERTIFICATE REQUEST-----). Select “Apache” whenever it asks.
10 - Download signed certificate (zipped file with a .crt file in it).
11 - Open the .crt file in a text editor and copy the entire certificate (including -----BEGIN CERTIFICATE----- and -----END CERTIFICATE-----).

DreamHost
12 - Click on “Edit” for the Secure Hosting for that domain
13 - Delete the contents in the “Certificate” field (the second big field), but leave the first and third alone (the first field is the “Certificate Signing Request” field and third one is your “Private Key,” but leave those as is).
14 - Paste the certificate (including -----BEGIN CERTIFICATE----- and -----END CERTIFICATE-----) into the Certificate field.
15 - Click on “Edit HTTPS now!” submit button

And that’s it.

From there you can create a database for that domain and install XCart, or whatever.

NOTE: the certificate that you deleted in step 13 was the self-signed certificate that’s free from DreamHost. You can continue to use that one, but your browser will give every visitor a warning each time the HTTPS site is visited. So you want to replace that with your newly purchased signed certificate so that no one gets that warning.

I followed all the steps and still seem to get getting an error. Is there a server side file that I need to upload to the server?

https://www.2nd-bytestore.com

Thanks,
Kevin

It’s still using the self-signed certificate.

Maximum Cash Discount on any plan with MAXCASH

How To Install PHP.INI / ionCube on DreamHost

There’s no file that needs to be uploaded to the server, but if you’re using an application that requires ioncube or php.ini modification, then that’s a completely separite issue.

I guess it depends on what error you are getting. Can you describe your problem in more detail?

Site was still using a self-signed certificate [step 13]

But that was 2 months ago :wink:

Maximum Cash Discount on any plan with MAXCASH

How To Install PHP.INI / ionCube on DreamHost