Nano 2.x

Looking for someone to upgrade nano on the hummer server, I sent a message to tech support and they responded by saying that it would go to next level tech support, it’s an easy task… there’s a bug in versions 1.x that causes an error with syntax highlighting, but is fixed in version 2.

Thanks,
James

James Strickland
Misawa Air Base, Japan

James,

If you don’t want to wait for DreamHost to install an upgraded nano for general use on your server, you can always install it yourself in your own user space for your own use. I just tested this with 2.0.6, and it was pretty smooth.

Just grab the source, unpack the tarball in your user space, and follow the instructions in the “INSTALL” file (making sure to utilize the “–prefix=PREFIX” flag in the “./configure” step to specify appropriate directories within your space.)

It should take about 5 minutes (or less!) :wink:

–rlparker

Thanks, I’m going to give that a shot, I tried that with irssi and I couldn’t get it to work.

Thanks,
James

James Strickland
Misawa Air Base, Japan

I just tried this, and it didn’t work for me.

I did ./configure --prefix=/home/$myusername
then
make && make check && make install

it’s a no go, put a bin in my $home, but that nano still says version 1.x.

What specific command(s) did you use?

James Strickland
Misawa Air Base, Japan

Did you actually run that binary or did you just try to type in “nano”? You need to run the binary specifically or else you’ll still be using DreamHost’s default nano install/binary.

Chips N Cheese - Custom PHP installs and the like!

James,

You did the same thing I did, and mine works fine. Do you see nano and the rnano symlink in the /home/username/bin directory?

If so, it should be working. Remember that unless you have modified your environment’s PATH, you need to run that newer nano with the command,

./bin/nano
(if you are in your /home/username directory) and

./nano
(if you are in your /home/username/bin directory), etc.

Or, of course, from anywhere in your directory tree you can just use:

~/bin/nano

If you just type “nano” at the command line, even if you are in the /home/username directory, the “default” nano (mine is version 1.2.4) is what will run! :wink:

–rlparker

Ha! Typing at the same time again! But you said the same thing in a lot less words than I did. :wink:

Sorry 'bout that!

–rlparker

Your explanations are always better than mine :wink:

I just find that less information is best at first, until I know more about the person to provide less/more, based on what their knowledge.

Chips N Cheese - Custom PHP installs and the like!