Nameservers

Is it possible to have my own nameserver?

I want to be able to put all my domains to ns1.MYDOMAIN.com and so on.

If this is at all possible, I would appreciate it if anyone told me how.

Maybe forward ns1.mydomain.com to ns1.dreamhost.com somehow or something.

[color=#000000]SAVE [color=#00CC00]$50[/color] on your new Dreamhost acccount by Using the promo code [color=#00CC00]FEARTHENOOB[/color][/color]

Yep, it is possible. That link shows you how to do it, and discusses a reason why you might not should do it. :wink: . THere are yother thread that also discuss this, just use the search feature of the forum (that’s how I found that one).

–rlparker

as rlparker suggests, you should be careful with your own DNS. I found something in wiki http://wiki.dreamhost.com/index.php/KB_/Domains/Can_I_create_custom_DNS_records(MX,_A,_CNAME,_etc)?

Hope these information will help you.

More code here Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] (max discount) with [color=#CC0000]97CRAZY[/color] SignUp NOW

Sorry to be the one to inform you Nathan, but the wiki link you provided points to a page with the following content…

[color=#0000CC]"(There is currently no text in this page)"[/color]

:wink:

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

Hey Nathan, hope you don’t mind but I made a tiny url to the DreamHost wiki page that you found:
http://tinyurl.com/ywpmnh

OTOH, after rereading the original post, I have to ask the original poster what he (or she) is trying to achieve?

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]LENSMANFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LENSMAN97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

Thanks for the corrections to you and mark.

That is the page I found in wiki. I think the link is broken because of the speical characters (, ), ? in the link.

More code here Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] (max discount) with [color=#CC0000]97CRAZY[/color] SignUp NOW

Yeah, I suspect it’s a combination of the special characters and the processing done by the forum software when you type in your response.

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]LENSMANFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LENSMAN97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

I have over 4k domains hosted in various places ALL/MOST of which are pointed to ns1(2,3,4).oneofmydomains.com.

I wanted to just swith the ‘oneofmydomains.com’ to dreamhost and create a nameserver or something forwarding to the dreamhost ones so they will automatically be pointed here at dreamhost.

Instead of manually going through and changing them all.

[color=#000000]SAVE [color=#00CC00]$50[/color] on your new Dreamhost acccount by Using the promo code [color=#00CC00]NXGAMERS[/color][/color]

Wow, I am not even going to ask what you do with 4,000 domains. :wink:

However, the link provided above by rlparker will show you how to do what you want.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

That’s sound interesting.

I don’t have 4K domains, but still hundreds and i manage them manually, sometime it’s a bit long to do so (when i a bulk automatic change is not possible).

Please vote for bulk add feature on DH suggestion in panel :wink:

Get [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] Off with promo code :[color=#CC0000]97USA[/color] :cool: -->choose your plan (promo code included)

If you need to pay 10 dollar for a domain every year, you need to pay 40,000 dollar every year. WOWOWOW! :wink:

surprising my registrar gave me only 1 ‘A’ Record form… is there no way of activating it in this?

Also DreamHost’s Nameservers… ive usually seen there are three of them… my registrar gave me field for 2 only… lol what the hell… how do i make it work?

I assume you are referring to creating custom ‘name servers’ of the type ns1.yourdomain.com?

If so, then first configure your domain at your registrar to point to the ‘real’ DreamHost name servers, wait for the DNS information to fully propagate across the Internet (it can take up to 72 hours) then configure the A-Records using the DNS page in the DreamHost panel, as detailed in the link provided above by rlparker.

Just use the first two name servers…

ns1.dreamhost.com
ns2.dreamhost.com

Mark