Nameserver help please

Because of the recent problems, I need to move to a new host. I feel bad about it because Dreamhost has been good to me in the past but I can’t take all the downtime. Hopefully, things will get better in the future and I can move back, but for now I have to go.

Anyway, I signed up with a new host and need to change my nameservers from the Dreamhost ones to new ones. I’d really appreciate some help on how to do that. I went into the Web Admin Panel, Domains, Manage Domains, [DNS], and clicked on “Go here to modify domain.com’s whois record”. Then I scrolled down to the bottom were it says “Hosting your domain elsewhere?” and filled in the new nameservers. I clicked “Set these nameservers for this domain”. I got an email asking to confirm the change and I did that. But that was a few hours ago and it seems nothing has changed. The nameservers shown by Dreamhost seem to be the same as before (ns1.dreamhost.com, ns2.dreamhost.com, ns3.dreamhost.com.) instead of the new ones. Whois still shows the old nameservers too. I know it probably takes a few days for the change to propagate over the net but I would expect the new nameservers to show up on Dreamshost right away. Did I do something wrong or is there more I need to do? Thanks in advance for any help.

I suggest waiting a few days first, and if the nameservers haven’t changed then, contact DH.

Save $97 on all yearly plans with the promo code [color=#CC0000]DREAMZAP[/color]

It doesn’t hurt to wait a few hours - like 4 to 6, but the updated information should be showing by then. If you go back into the panel, does it at least show the updated informaiton? If not I’d put the change through again and see if that helps.

Also, if you’d like to post the domain name a few of us here can check it and out to see what we’re reporting.

–Matttail
art.googlies.net - personal website

Thanks for your replies. I entered the new nameservers again about an hour ago. Now when I go to the Web Panel, Domains, Registration, Whois Info I see a note at the top saying 1 domain is being modified. It says that changes should take 30 minutes and it’s been well over that but maybe I should wait a while longer. Guess I’ll sleep on it. Nothing seems to be happening fast lately.

Sleeping on it will most likely help; there is a “real good” chance that all will be well upon your awakening. It is really hard to tell how long that kind of stuff is gonna take, and sitting there watching the clock only makes it seem to take longer :slight_smile:

–rlparker

Plus, the domain fairy doesn’t come if you are awake…

Check out Gordaen’s Knowledge, the blog, and the MR2 page.

You know, I never thought about it that way! But, reviewing my own experience (anecdotally at least), I think you are right!

I did have one “whelp” once while I was online in the wee hours of the morning, but now that I think about it, I believe I had fallen asleep at the keyboard waiting for it when the “grand event” took place. The Domain Fairy! Yeah! That’s the ticket! Thanks! :slight_smile:

-rlparker