N00b transfer questions

Ok! I am fairly inexperienced in these matters and i am trying to learn many new things all at the same time.
I have installed a webserver at my house for a mediawiki site and am trying to get it all developed and presentable before i shell out the $$ for hosting. How easy would it be to transfer all my info to DH when i feel it is ready for the world, i am assuming this is possible.

I think you did not know that DH provides mediawiki. You can install mediawiki by simply clicking some buttons on the menu. The current version of mediawiki that DH is using is 1.9.2

I guess the procedures are same for most of the web server providers. Get a domain. Install mediawiki. Set up database if necessary. Upload files.

If you already have a domain and want to host in DH, you can do it by setting up the DNS.

ns1.dreamhost.com
ns2.dreamhost.com
ns3.dreamhost.com

It takes some time for the DNS change to propagate.

If you do not have domain, get one from DH. All the hosting plans include a free domain name.

What else?

Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] (max discount) on dreamhost plans by using promo code: [color=#CC0000]97CRAZY[/color]. Sign Up NOW

This wiki article should get you pointed in the right direction. You can make sure it’s up and running here before switching.

:stuck_out_tongue: Save up to $96 at Dreamhost with ALMOST97 promo code (I get $1).
Or save $97 with THEFULL97.

shrug That article is somewhat helpful but honestly this isn’t going to really help transferring your data.

Simplest thing is to create an account with Dreamhost and do the one-click install of mediawiki.

Now do a mysqldump of your current database, not sure exactly what OS you are using but the simplest and most common way is to go to phpmyadmin and just use dump/backup without the create db line.

Now just login to your created Dreamhost database (example):
mysql.yourdomain.com

Then just restore the database dump (.sql file) from your local machine.

This should have you all set.

Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] on Dreamhost plans by using promo code: [color=#CC0000]SRVR97[/color]

“Now do a mysqldump of your current database, not sure exactly what OS you are using but the simplest and most common way is to go to phpmyadmin and just use dump/backup without the create db line.”

THAT was the answer I was looking for, I did realize DH had the one click install dealie. I installed apache mysql php phpmyadmin on my ubuntu box mainly as an educational exercise and to save a few months of unused hosting.

But the dumping the database, was the easy answer i was hoping for, hopefully it’s as straightforward as you made it out to be. thank you very much!!