MySQLnd support needed - custom PHP 5.3 install script help

apps

Hello everyone.

I am porting an already built PHP5/MySQL application to my hosting account at Dreamhost. The PHP code which handles database connectivity utilizes methods in the MySQLi library that are only available when using the MySQLnd driver, which my canned PHP 5.3 installation doesn’t seem to support out of the box.

I have found this documented on the DH wiki which outlines possible solutions to this problem here:

First, is there any easier way of doing this? The wiki alludes to there being advanced configuration options available through the panel yet I cannot find it.

If the answer to the first question is no, the script named “php5-install-53.sh” (near the bottom of the page) seems to be what I am looking for, but with the way the document is set up, I can’t figure out if the script named “php5-install-prep.sh” is necessary to run first. My impression from the document is that the “prep” script is only necessary when upgrading from an earlier minor revision (ex. 5.2), which I am not (I am currently running the out of the box 5.3).

Lastly, anyone have any experience with the script I am considering running? I am braving unknown territory here so I am open to alternative suggestions at achieving my end goal. I am pretty knowledgeable with Linux and with LAMP setup/configuration myself, but have never tried this with DH.

Thanks for your help.

I have gotten 30 views and no replies. Should this be moved to the “web applications” area? I don’t seem to have the ability to do this as a user, can a moderator?

Moved for you. I wish I had an answer, but I’m not as familiar with MySQLnd :frowning:

Will, what did you do regarding this. I’m in the exact same situation.

From an effort perspective, mysqlnd is the right way to go. However, I think it might also be preferred from a performance and a quality of code (readability) perspective.

I’ll probably try the wiki instructions, and I’ll report back.

We’re planning to make PHP 5.4 available in the next week or two, which will have MySQLnd support enabled. So, with any luck, it’ll be a moot point.

Php 5.4