Mysql trying to connect to someone else's domain?

vps

I just got a VPS and bought a cheap domain

I put my website from another provider, and brought it over to this one.

Issue is, when I try to connect to mysql through PHP I get

Access denied for user ‘user’@’[Unknown]’ (using password: YES)
(It doesn’t say unknown – i can see it; Its actually someone else’s domain I’ve never heard of and to protect their identity i didn’t show it)

Thing is, I’ve never even heard of that domain, never mind tried to connect to it. When connecting i use

new mysqli(“mysql.[MY DOMAIN]”, $username, $password, $dbname)

Of course i know my username and password are correct. I have double, and triple checked. I can log in manually through my browser, and through an SSH terminal

My best guess is the domain never propagated. So I checked it. I pinged the site from the host, from my computer, and even checked 3rd party sites – all say it has been properly propagated. And it have been almost 5hrs since I set all this up

Google doesn’t return a lot of results. my best guess is when MySQL does its reverse DNS look up, the copy on the server is out of date – but I have a VPS so there’s nothing I can do about that.

At this point i’m ready to pull my hair out; has anyone else had any issues like this?

Edit: Also worth noting: The Domain mysql is trying to connect to also actually exists; but I don’t associate with it in anyway.

You should be able to see/create your databases in the Control Panel (Advanced > MySQL DB):

https://panel.dreamhost.com/index.cgi?tree=advanced.mysql&

Yes I know. I’ve created the DB, and have logged into it from several locations so i know the mysql.[DOMAIN] I setup works. It’s just when my PHP script does it, it tries to connect to an entirely different domain.

For example, lets say my domain was testdomain.com
I would do

new mysqli(“mysql.testdomain[dot]com”, “user”, $password, $dbname)

Well, when I try that I get the error

Access denied for user ‘user’@’unrelateddomain[dot]com’ (using password: YES)

I have never even heard of the 2nd domain – so why is my PHP script trying to connect to something entirely different?

edit: The host name. The MySQL host name is the thing i’m having issues with. Everything else works – the MySQL host name points to another site when I try to run it through PHP and only PHP. I can connect to MySQL through the hostname everywhere else – except when a PHP file in run on the server. The server can connect to mysql through that hostname though

Some thoughts:

• Do you have more than one mysqli function?
  • Are you sure you’re editing the right file? (Yes, I’ve done that.)
  • Have you checked your site for malware?
  • Does another user have write access to your site?

kjodle,

1. This one connection method is the only one that fails and that’s just because it exits after it fails

2. I have not edited any files. This site is a clone

3. Malware of not this issue is not explained

4. No, but that also doesn’t explain the issue

I contacted their support and they basically told me not their problem. Nothing to do with them.

I tried searching everything to no avail. Gave up for a few weeks. Told the guy i’m doing this for ‘Sorry; It’s Dreamhosts fault. Nothing I can do’

Decided to take another look at it today, and it just started working. I of course have not touched a thing, nor has anyone else.

Any poor soul experiencing this:

Contact your provider; It’s almost certainly an issue on there end. Wait a few days for proper propagation.

The issue had to have been on their end and was fixed after a blazing fast 4 weeks. I of course have no idea on specifics

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.