Mysql setup for gallery

I am installing the gallery script and it stops on step 5, trying to connect to the database. Step one of the install, sets up a mysql database. I am using the login info specified during the setup but the install bawks saying " Unable to connect to database with the information provided".

Interestingly, if I look at the dreamhost panel, the database I created does not show up. Could this be the same problem as others seem to be having with mysql? I wonder if it is down on the whole server?

Are you sure that your database hostname (mysql.example.com) is accessible? Have you supplied it to the script? (You can’t use localhost.)

emufarmers.com
Very little to do with either emus or farmers!

If I browse to the database: mysql.springfield.cisvusa.org I am presented with the login box, but the userid and password I specified does not work. The login message is

enter the username and password for PHPmyadmin on server xxxx.

Seems odd

user name for panel / FTP / mysql is different

~Blebekblebek

Thank you folks. I found the problem. I did not follow the steps correctly and had a typo in directory path to g2data.

User problem.

I wanted to enunciate the solution just a little bit since I was having a similar problem and this thread popped out of Google and put me on the right path to completing my Gallery installation:

• Last poster said he hadn’t followed the instructions explicitly enough regarding the data directory, so I went back and redid that step a couple of times. Then I paid attention to the little code box about chmod’ing the data directory. I logged into my shell user and checked the directory’s permissions. It was set to 700. So I set it to 755 (777 is the REAL number of the beast lol) and resubmitted and tried the MySQL connect again - fail.

• So now I go back and I look carefully at the email from the DreamHost Robot regarding the data directory and notice I have included a trailing ‘/’. I remove the ‘/’ and resubmit - failed.

• I look one more time at the database submission page and note that my hostname had a bunch of extraneous stuff (leading ‘http://www.’ and trailing ‘/’). Remove them and resubmit - VICTORY FOR SYLVANAS!!!

Will re-post if I find any additional concerns.

Thanks!
Heckman