Mysql servers

Is there any way to speed up the mysql servers? There are times when they are unbearably slow.

If not, is it possible to create a subdomain/folder that uses an external server/mysql database? Would this have to be taken up with the domain registrar (godaddy)?

[quote]
Is there any way to speed up the mysql servers? There are times when they are unbearably slow.[/quote]
Welcome to shared hosting! :slight_smile:
I’m unaware of any way to “speed up” the mysql databases themselves, as being randomly “slow” is part of how shared hosting works. You can always report it to support (via the Control Panel) though and see if they can help you out, or you can try to use some form of data caching to see if that helps reduce your database queries.

As to your second question - you can always use an external database. You just point whatever script/application you’re using to it. Why you would have to “take it up” with your registrar, is beyond me, unless you’re referring to changing your ‘mysql.domain.com’ address to the IP of the external mysql server?

Chips N Cheese - Custom PHP installs and the like!

I know that accessing a remote mysql database is extremely slow, so I was thinking that I could just use a completely different host for that subdomain. For example, forums.website.com would be hosted on host.com, and the rest of the site on website.com
it might need to be taken up with the registrar because of nameserver issues.

I’ll try reporting it to support too.

Thanks

Ahhh, I see what you mean. You should be able to do that. I know with my registrar I can point my sub-domains to different IP’s, so long as I use their nameservers. If you’re using DreamHost’s nameservers, then ya… I can see that as possibly being an issue.

Good luck anyways :wink:

Chips N Cheese - Custom PHP installs and the like!