Mysql hostnames

Hi all,
A simple enough question I’m figuring (or hoping). I set up hostnames for mysql through the admin panel and they don’t appear to work. They are links in the admin panel, but when I click on them (I figured that would get me in mysql) they don’t work. Also have PMA installed and the hostname(s) return an error message: #2002 - Can’t connect to local MySQL server through socket ‘/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock’ (2)

I’m sure I’m making a silly mistake here…Any help appreciated. Thanks.

do you have a database and user set up for the hostname you speeg of?

I dunno what PMA is, sorry there.

A few things:

1. What do you mean by “do not work”? Give us an example error message.
  2. How long did you wait before using your new hostname? For it to filter through into the DNS cycle, you’ll most probably have to wait up to 48 hours.
  3. What’s a PMA?

Hope this helps.

• wil

Sorry for that. I certainly do have both set up. PMA is phpMyAdmin.
By not working, I mean that it throws up an error message that says that it can’t find the server. What you’re saying makes perfect sense. I didn’t realize that it had to go through DNS. With my old setup, it was different. Thanks for the help. I will wait the 48 hours and report back! =)

Unless you’ve just transferred your domain to us, you shouldn’t need to wait more than a few hours for it to work.

phpMyAdmin is installed by default for you by Dreamhost on your mysql hostname. Just type your mysql hostname in your web browser window and use your database username/password to log in.

• wil