MySQL- for dummies?

Hello everyone :slight_smile:

I want to put a message board on my website. I went into the panel and clicked on where it says to install a mysql database. I am now lost as to what to do - I am very very new to this. Is there any MySQL for dummies? I go to mydatabasename.mydomain.com and i am at a loss of what to do next! I get a screen that has:

Welcome to phpMyAdmin 2.6.1-pl3… MySQL
Create new database Create new database: Documentation
No Privileges
Show processes Show processes Documentation
Databases Databases
Export Export
Change password Log out Info

phpMyAdmin
Language
Language Info:
Theme / Style
Theme / Style:
phpMyAdmin documentation phpMyAdmin documentation
Official phpMyAdmin Homepage Official phpMyAdmin Homepage
[ChangeLog] [CVS] [Lists]

I am at a loss of what to do here, if I should even be here. I went into the MySQL reference manual and that was way over my head. I want to learn this but need to start with baby steps. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

I think it would be helpful if you explained a little about what exactly you want to do. You have properly created a Mysql database. And when you log itnto mysql.domain.com, or whatever you created you are accessing phpmyadmin, which is a interface for managing the database. You can use this interafce to create new talbes and whatnot.

If your wanting to write your own program that’s one thing, and if you want to install some kind of a script that’s an other issue. So, waht are you trying to do?

-Matttail

Hi Mattail :slight_smile:

Well writing my own program I am sure will be too difficult for me… I want a message board where people can post messages to etc. I once ran a message board, but it was already “made”. I just simply went into the control panel and created forums, names of forums, chose the colors etc. I thought this was going to be the same thing. Then people registered and posted messages etc.

I don’t know language php, so coding a board from scratch - eep. I feel relieved though that you say I have executed what I need so far correctly. Does this help in answering your question of what I am wanting?

here is the forum i ran before:

http://www.phpbb.com/index.php

will dreamhost suport this? i think i can figure out phpbb and get it to intall.

dreamhost has one click phpbb installs…

just go to your panel, select goodies, select one click install, choose the phpbb install, and follow the rest of the instructions.

Thank you much…

my next question is, i did the one-click, entered the correct information from the email, but I get errors. Can anyone tell me if these are errors on my part… or if this is due to the problems dreamhost is having with certain mySQL being down. here are the errror messages:

Warning: mysql_connect(): Unknown MySQL server host 'crochethaven.lilyrain.com ’ (1) in /home/.quinette/rainlily/lilyrain.com/CrochetHaven/db/mysql4.php on line 48

Warning: mysql_error(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/.quinette/rainlily/lilyrain.com/CrochetHaven/db/mysql4.php on line 330

Warning: mysql_errno(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/.quinette/rainlily/lilyrain.com/CrochetHaven/db/mysql4.php on line 331
phpBB : Critical Error

Could not connect to the database