Mysql error in new wp install

apps

I’ve just installed Wordpress and, checking out some themes I get the following message on my blog with several, but not all, of the themes:

WordPress database error: [You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ‘’ at line 1]
SELECT cat_id, cat_name FROM

If the error is actually something those themes are doing, then I have no problem as the error doesn’t show with my chosen theme, but if it’s actually a faulty installation, should I reinstall or is it something a novice can fix?

(If I have to ssh, I can probably cope with that aspect, but I have no hands-on experience with mysql and what I’ve read about it does not encourage me to experiment!)

What you have described sounds very much like a “theme specific” problem. Some themes, as with some plugins, are not yet compatible with the latest WordPress.

If you are not having problems with your chosen theme, or plugin, I doubt you have a “general” problem with WordPress.

Have you been to WordPress.org (forum, codex, etc.) to see what others are experiencing? I’ve yet to find a WordPress related problem that somebody isn’t already dealing with at WordPress.org in years! :wink:

–rlparker

Thanks, and I’ll follow up your suggestion. Pretty obvious really, but I guess I didn’t think of it as I’ve been having problems all day with panel and mail, which fixed my focus on the idea of a local error.

You’re welcome, and no problem. It’s really easy to get “paranoid” when stuff doesn’t work, and DH “problems” only exacerbate that! :wink: I do the same thing! Rock On!

–rlparker