Actually, once I added the table, and the right amount of fields to my new database in phpmyadmin, I was able to import the database through phpmyadmin and stay away from shell.
I did realize my user account was not set up for shell, once I modfied it, I was eventually able to go access it. But, until I understand what I am doing, I will stay out of telnet.
There may have even been an easier way. All I wanted to do was duplicate one of my databases to change for the fiscal year, and leave the old one alone…so if there is a way through phpmyadmin to duplicate a database, that would have been easier, but enjoyed what I did learn.