Mysql dump

apps

I am using BetterTelnet to dump one of my mysql databases.

When I am adding the login information just to get to the prompt… Do I log in with my mysqlhost name

ie

mydatabase.mysite.com

or is it my regular site

mysite.com

and which do I use the username/password? the database username and password, or my webid username and password, or my ftp username and password?

Database name? Sorry, I have never seen a shell prompt before, so any help is greatly appreciated.

[quote]Sorry, I have never seen a shell prompt before, so any help is greatly appreciated.

[/quote]

Ouch. mysql isn’t where I’d want to start.

In case you haven’t worked your way through this already, here’s what just worked for me.

Telnet (SSH, or whatever) to mysite.com
Login with the default dreamhost user/password

Then use
mysql -u -p -h mydatabase.mysite.com esapnc

You’ll be prompted for the database user’s password.

You’ll find that mysql command line in the Dreamhost Goodies > MySQL page.

Hope that helps.

-N

Actually, once I added the table, and the right amount of fields to my new database in phpmyadmin, I was able to import the database through phpmyadmin and stay away from shell.

I did realize my user account was not set up for shell, once I modfied it, I was eventually able to go access it. But, until I understand what I am doing, I will stay out of telnet.

There may have even been an easier way. All I wanted to do was duplicate one of my databases to change for the fiscal year, and leave the old one alone…so if there is a way through phpmyadmin to duplicate a database, that would have been easier, but enjoyed what I did learn.

thanks