Mysql disallowed connection

software development

I’m working with setting up some database driven content on a website I’m working on.

I set up the mysql host and all, and when I try to connect to the db from the application I get the message:

Host ‘c-76-18-158-158.hsd1.tn.comcast.net’ is not allowed to connect to this MySQL server

Any ideas why the db connection/host won’t let my app connect?

It sounds as though you are trying to connect from “outside” Dreamhost with your application.

That is not a problem, but you do need to authorize such a connection for the user making the connection. You can provide such authorization by editing the DB user in the control panel (Cntrol Panel ->Goodies -> Manage Mysql) - just click on the name of the desired user. On the screen that is provided, just add the IP address / hostname of the machine you want to allow to make the connection (in the “allowable hosts section”) and you should be good to go.

–rlparker

Note - you have to give your OUTSIDE network address, not your local address if you’re behind a NAT firewall. This is the address that the internet sees for your application.

Let us know if you need more info.

Wholly - Use promo code WhollyMindless for full 97$ credit. Let me know if you want something else!