MySQL DB - information_schema

What exactly is this database for? Is it safe to delete?

You should not delete it. MySQL5 stores configuration information in that special database (it was done differently in MySQL4).

Simon Jessey | Keystone Websites
Save $97 on yearly plans with promo code [color=#CC0000]SCJESSEY97[/color]

Is there any way to hide it or prevent other users from accessing it? I don’t want it accidently deleted or anything.

I am not aware of a way to hide it. I would have thought it would be difficult to accidentally delete it. You would have to specifically select it in phpMyAdmin before you could delete it (complete with a yes/no message), or type “drop database information_schema”, which would be hard to accidentally type!

I’m probably being paraoid; I just don’t want some other user to possibly mess around with it.

That can only happen if you give someone else your MySQL hostname, username, and password.

The tables in the database are read only so they will not get deleted or altered until the host is removed.

This is what the manual has to say:-

“In effect, we have a database named INFORMATION_SCHEMA, although the server does not create a database directory with that name. It is possible to select INFORMATION_SCHEMA as the default database with a USE statement, but it is possible only to read the contents of tables. You cannot insert into them, update them, or delete from them.”

[color=#6600CC]Norm[/color]

Opinions are my own views and are not the views of DreamHost.
Any advice offered by me should be acted upon only at your own risk.