mySQL Databases Lost

I received notification that 2 of my 3 MySQL databases are completely corrupted and lost. Running two online businesses, you can imagine the impact of this is extremely devastating. My soccer league is in the middle of the season, and I have hundreds of parents and players boiling over with rage. After switching to Dreamhost two weeks ago, I no longer have backups as I got rid of them after transferring my sites over to Dreamhost. I assumed Dreamhost had daily backups available. They don’t. I can’t imagine a web host in 2015 as large as Dreamhost not having the hardware, process, and systems in place to have proper backups. A $10 credit when my business income and reputation are crushed is like turning in your car to a mechanic and they destroy your car and they offer your a $10 off an oil change. Would you take your car back to that mechanic? This is the message I received:

Let me start off by saying I am truly sorry for the issues. I have been told by our admins that last night, the MySQL service that your Databases were running off of crashed and the databases became corrupt. This is usually not a big deal as we do keep nightly backups of your MySQL databases that we can restore from. Unfortunately in this case we were unable to restore from our backups. This outage only affected 1 of our many MySQL instances which unfortunately was the server that was hosting your databases. In this case to fully restore your site, you will need to upload your database from a local backup that you may have. For your troubles, I have gone ahead and credited your account $10.

We have since fixed the issue with our server so any database hosted going forward will be safe to reupload and host.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

Best regards,

I understand your frustration. I have been trying to figure out a backup plan that is automated instead of trying to mysqldump all my databases. I have found this, http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/how-to-backup-mysql-databases-web-server-files-to-a-ftp-server-automatically.html, for future use. I’m trying it out right now.

This morning my websites are 100% restored. A true LOW and HIGH feeling the last 24 hours.

I have to give credit to DreamHost for listening to me as a customer. I believe the corruption issue was limited to a small subset of accounts. I appreciate their efforts to track down a copy of my databases and restore them.

It’s true - you don’t know what you’re missing until it’s gone.

I agree - I’ll look into automated backups too. But for sure - manual ones for now.

A couple of points for anyone else who comes across this thread.

A backup is only useful if you still have it. Never, ever throw out a backup. If you’re switching between hosts, a temporary online storage solution is useful for large databases, or download them to your local machine. (I still have stuff—transferred from 3.5" floppies to cd-roms—from 1992. Never throw anything away.)

Never assume. Always read the fine print, especially when your livelihood is on the line.

@kcwebplaza: I’m glad your sites are up and running. If you are running a CMS like WordPress or Joomla, there are some automated backup solutions available.