MySQL database config

Setting up phpBB2 for a small graphics forum for graphics site for a friend. Her site is hosted with you guys. Anyways here’s the problem.

made database, named, created user/pass, and hostname.
created mysql.herdomain.com
created forums.herdomain.com to host the site forums on.

in phpbb configuration upon install entered these to create tables:

hostname/DSN: mysql.herdomain.com
DB name: I put database name here
DB user: I put user name here.
DB pw:****** <–password for database
prefixes for tables in database: phpbb_

I get the folowing errors:

Warning: Unknown MySQL Server Host 'mysql..com’ (2) in /home/.xambo/*******/forums.******.com/db/mysql4.php on line 48

Warning: MySQL Connection Failed: Unknown MySQL Server Host 'mysql.*****.com’ (2) in /home/.xambo//forums..com/db/mysql4.php on line 48
phpBB : Critical Error

Could not connect to the database

I stared our her domain name and user name as they are not pertinant information.

I tried using both MySQL 3.x and 4.x and neither worked, so I know that isn’t the problem. I do not know however if you have restrictions that do no allow subdomain to read from a MySQL database but this should also not be an issue.

Any help, I would be greatful

Well it would be easier to figure out if you didn’t remove the domain name, but my guess is that the DNS information for mysql.domain.com hasn’t updated yet. It should take about an hour or so from when you create it.

What is the output of:
host mysql.domain.com
from the command line on your machine?

ahh…yes, the DNS for the mysql DB took alot longer to recolve than the forums, DNS resolution. Perhaps they should work on that reverse lookup? Anywho problem solved, thanx