MySQL 4.1, when?

(I’m not really sure if this is the correct place to ask this question. Moderators, feel free to move this to the correct place.)

I believe Dreamhost currently uses MySQL 4.0.x. Is there any plan on moving to MySQL 4.1.x?

It’s the support of MySQL 4.1 for unicode (utf-8) that I’ve been wanting to try. I want to make a site that will save data (strings) for multiple languages (characters) including chinese traditional, chinese simplified, korea, and japanese. With sorting and full text (and regular expression?) search capabilities.

As far as I know, this is not possible with MySQL 4.0. If it is may someone enlighten me on this?

Thank you.

This is something that I’d like to know too. I am waiting for a couple of things in mysql 4.1.* (unicode, transactions and the ability to use the mysqli interface in PHP 5) too. When I asked the support forum this question some time ago I got the answer that they are going to install it when they consider it stable. How long will this take?

If it’s not already there, you could try submitting a suggestion through your Panel that says “Upgrade to Mysql xxx”, and people who want it, can vote for it :).

Ok, good advice. I thought I had already seen it in the suggestion page, but it wasn’t there. Just submitted it. :slight_smile:

I got a reply from tech support that there are no plans to upgrade. I assume that the suggestion to upgrade I submitted yesterday will show up in the suggestionlist soon, so check the suggestion list and vote for it, I’d say :).