MyBB!

announcement

After a mere nine years of using WWWThreads, we’ve finally decided to leap into the future and start using MyBB for our discussion forum instead!

There are a variety of reasons why we decided to use MyBB instead of other alternatives such as phpBB, SMF, bbPress, or commercial offerings like vBulletin and IPB… but suffice it to say that, of the open-source solutions available, MyBB was the easiest for us to convert our over 120,000 posts into, as well as one of the best-performing with this size of database. So far we’ve been extremely happy with it.

All existing posts should be converted, and, as long as you’ve made at least one post on the board in the past, your existing username should continue to work. Otherwise, just set up a new user now and join in!

Let us know if you run into any issues with the forum conversion, or if you have any technical questions about how we’ve set it up.

— Andrew

[quote]There are a variety of reasons why we decided to use MyBB instead of other alternatives such as phpBB, SMF, bbPress, or commercial offerings like vBulletin and IPB… but suffice it to say that, of the open-source solutions available, MyBB was the easiest for us to convert our over 120,000 posts into, as well as one of the best-performing with this size of database.[/quote] I think the answer to your question lies in the above quote from Andrew’s original post :wink:

To expand on my previous statement a bit:

phpBB was the obvious first choice, as it’s the forum we currently support as a one-click install. It doesn’t make it easy to import data into it, though: the internal database format they use for bbcode is idiosyncratic and annoying. I’m also personally not a fan of how complicated they’ve made permissions management in phpBB 3.0, and its lack of any plugin system is simply inexcusable in this day and age.

We also looked into using bbPress — its status as a sister project to Wordpress made it look really promising, but it turned out to have some serious performance issues with larger forums (like this one). I’d wholeheartedly recommend it for smaller personal forums, though.

MyBB, on the other hand, has a sane database structure which is REALLY easy to convert data to — the hardest part of the conversion was getting data out of wwwthreads’ format — and it performs amazingly well even with a large database. If you take a look in Firebug or similar, you may note that forum pages often load in under 100 ms. Yes, it really is that fast when configured properly with nginx and XCache — it’s nearly as fast as static HTML!

The old RSS feed URL is reporting 404 errors - you might want to put a perm redirect on it:

http://discussion.dreamhost.com/feeds/all_threads.rss

So when are you going to make this super-terriffic MyBB a One-Click install?

habilis: I’ve set up permanent redirects for anything in /feeds/ — the URL you mentioned is now redirected to the equivalent new URL, and all other feeds are redirected to a placeholder directing the reader to change their settings. Thanks for pointing that out.

sdayman: That’s a really interesting question. Historically, setting up new one-click installs has been a surprisingly involved process for us, so we’ve tried to pick our one-clicks carefully to have one application available in each of the common niches we see customers requesting. As such, there’s one forum application (phpBB), one blog (Wordpress), one wiki (Mediawiki), and so on. However, we’ve got some changes in the pipeline which might make it easier for us to start supporting a larger variety of advanced one-click installs… we’ll let you all know more once that comes closer to completion.

Was the move to MyBB because it’s free/open source? :slight_smile: I’m just curious because if it was me my choice will be vbulletin or IPB (invision).

Yes, the open-source license was a significant factor in our decision to use MyBB. While we aren’t dead-set against using any proprietary software at all, we generally try to use open-source software where possible, and the closed-source alternatives in this case don’t appear to have any features which we can’t live without.

I love MyBB and I love Dreamhost!

This is a significant upgrade and looks much more professional. Good job!

Well done on the switchover! I imagine there was some fun Perlscripting to get everything out of WWWthreads.

MyBB looks great, and thanks for giving us a little insight into the switching decision.

As the first post said, and from my understanding of it, well from basicly reading it. There are three main reasons they picked mybb over any other source.
[list=1]
[]The ability to easily convert all users, topics and other data to myBB
[
]Low resource requirement on the database
[*]and being opensource
[/list]

I like IPB, but I like phpbb, and myBB. Whatever works for DH should be supported, given it is their site…

Thank you Dreamhost for using MyBB. I’m an avid fan and supporter of not only MyBB but also dreamhost. I run the #1 third party MyBB support forums (MyBBCentral.com) which is actually hosted here at DH for some time now. I have a handful of MyBB forums here and they all run great.

If DH does need any assistance with the software I’m more than happy to suffice. If you want a free subscription at MyBBCentral (normally $10) please PM me. That will enable you to download some plugins which you may or may not use.

For those that aren’t used to MyBB or have not tried it as an admin. Please give it a whirl. As you can see from this thread even experienced webmasters running hundreds of thousands of websites see the great job the MyBB Project has done with it’s software.

Thank you DH.

-Jesse LaBrocca

I would prefer IPB, but it’s hard to move to their board.

I like MyBB and IPB both for different reasons. Just be happy we’ve moved from god-awful wwwthreads.

Am I the only crazy person who did not mind the old (WWWThreads) forums? From an end user’s point of view, I think the old forums worked well enough.
To our Admin: nice job on the smooth transition to MyBB!

I was very much used to the old system, but this is much more polished. It’s also easier to view all new posts at once.

I didn’t mind it at all. What is lacked in "“polish” and appearance it made up for in simplicity, but I admit the old search functions was rather primitive. Also, there was a lot of clamor for something more modern looking.

MyBB is working very well, and I think the change is a good thing overall!

Thank you for upgrading!

I would have preferred to see vBulletin since it’s probably the best forum software for support sites but anything is better than the old discussion boards.

Tell me what vBulletin offers that MyBB doesn’t. Ugly admin cp doesn’t count.