My site is still completely down

My website, www.lanimilbus.com, which I have hosted by DreamHost, has now been completely inaccessible for the past 24 hours or so. I saw the announcement last night at 07:11:33 PM PST (10:11PM here) that said “The move is already in progress and everything should be back to normal within 30 minutes or so,” but 19 hours later, my site is still inaccessible, and none of its pages will load for me or anyone else. Does anyone know how much longer I can expect it to be down for? When it comes back up, will it still be the same as it was before this happened? I’ve e-mailed the support staff about this but haven’t gotten an answer, and since it’s a Friday night I don’t really expect an answer until Monday morning, so if anyone here could tell me any more about this, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

-Alec

I get a 404 error, which makes it look like it’s up and running, but that there aren’t files in the web directory.

It’s certainly reachable:
Reply from 64.111.110.170: bytes=32 time=29ms TTL=57
Reply from 64.111.110.170: bytes=32 time=43ms TTL=57
Reply from 64.111.110.170: bytes=32 time=43ms TTL=57
Reply from 64.111.110.170: bytes=32 time=44ms TTL=57

:stuck_out_tongue: Save $96 at Dreamhost with the 96DOLLARSOFF promo code.

So what does that mean?
The move to a different server is complete, but my actual site/files were deleted in the process?
Or will it be back to normal in a matter of time?

Try:

http://www.dotcom-monitor.com/

To monitor your sites, from other countries, and you will know if your site is reachable, in other networks, and countries (and so, you will know if it is a problem with dreamhost servers)

Since 3 days ago, many of my sites have been down sometimes (intermitent)

I made a post with my report in:

http://discussion.dreamhost.com/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=forum_troubleshooting&Number=37923&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=14&part=

Regards…

I guess it’s not reachable in other countries, either…here’s the e-mail I got after signing up with them.

Error occured during the device monitoring www.lanimilbus.com at 2/4/2006 1:05:15 AM
Monitoring location:London, UK

Task sequence:
TASK Name -> www.lanimilbus.com
TASK Data -> Type:HTTP;Request Type:GET;Url:www.lanimilbus.com;Full page download:NO
RESPONSE-> Duration:135;Error Code:404;Reason:Not Found

Network TraceRoute: http://www.dotcom-monitor.com/trace_view.asp?PID=0C2754B9BF144BF4B3E4C73F39632E82&ID=1109030520
HTML Page snapshot: http://www.dotcom-monitor.com/body_view.asp?PID=0C2754B9BF144BF4B3E4C73F39632E82&ID=1109030520

Does anybody know what this means? Sorry, I’m pretty new at all this…are my page and my files ever going to come back, or do I have to upload the entire website again?

The 404 means the server is up, so I’m not sure why your pages aren’t there.

Just FTP into your account and see what’s there. If you see your folder, but it’s empty, upload your site and the 404 error will go away.

When I went into FrontPage (the program I’ve always used to upload files to my site) I got this error message, even before it asked me to enter my username and password:

404 Not Found
Not Found The requested URL /_vti_bin/shtml.exe/_vti_rpc was not found on this server. Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

When I hit OK it gave me the following error message:

Unable to connect to ‘http://lanimilbus.com’.
Server error:
Possible causes:

1. The web server may not have the FrontPage Server Extensions installed.
  2. The web server may be temporarily out of service.
  3. If you are connecting through a proxy server, the proxy settings may be incorrect.
  4. An error may have occured in the web server.

What does this mean? How can I get my website back to normal? Why did this happen in the first place?
Thanks,

-Alec

According to dotcom-monitor, my site is also unavailable, with the same error report as I just posted from London, in California, US, Hong Kong, China, Frankfurt, Germany, Minnesota, US, and New York, US.

It’s now been two days and my website shows no sign of going back to the way it was…so, again, what does this mean, how can I get my website back to normal, and why did this happen in the first place?

I’m not sure what message you’re referencing from Dreamhost in your origional post about moving… But it sounds to me like your frontpage extensions arn’t working properly. (you did turn on frontpage extensions, right?) To fix this you’ll have to contact support and ask them reinstall FP Extensions for you.

Just put in a site outage ticket through the panel, explain the issue, and ask if FP extensions need to be reinstalled.

Hope this helps

-Matttail

Yes, FrontPage servers extensions were turned on many months ago. According to a FrontPage message board that I asked this same question on, the problem seems to be with the nameservers…
"There definitely is a problem with the name servers - see here:

http://www.dnsreport.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=http://www.lanimilbus.com

ERROR: Some of your nameservers listed at the parent nameservers did not respond. The ones that did not respond are:

This is something your hosts need to sort out. "

I’ve already e-mailed them about this, but from the looks of things, it doesn’t look like I’ll be getting a response any time soon…is there anything else I can do?

It’s been three days now and my site is still down and none of my e-mails have been responded to, even though there’s a guarantee of a 24 hour response…is there any hope at this point that my site will ever be back up? Should I switch hosts?

I finally got a response from DreamHost today. This is what it said;

"Hello,

Ok, I fixed your domain, however it seems that your content was moved
to the “home” directory. I would reupload your site, but make sure you
specifiy the remove directory as “lanimilbus.com”.

That should take care of the problems. Sorry about that! If you need
anything else, please let us know.

Thanks!
Brian"

My website isn’t giving the error message anymore, but as you can see, there’s nothing there now. Unfortunately I’m not currently at home so I can’t try FrontPage again to see if it will let me upload anything, but I’m a little confused about the e-mail he sent me. What does he mean by a “remove directory” and how do I set it to lanimilbus.com?

You wouldn’t have gotten the 404 error if that was the problem. The 404 means that the requested file wasn’t found… but the site itself is there.

It sounds like your files weren’t in the domain directory, but in your home directory, instead. You just need to upload the files into /home/yourName/lanimilbus.com – not /home/yourName/.

I’m not sure what they fixed, but maybe it was something to do with FrontPage. The empty directory you see now is where your site will show up when you upload it.