My site is sloooooow

http://www.30sixpics.com/

Started being slow Saturday morning. Tech support at 1st said the only solution was to buy a dedicated server because of the number of hits. However when I pointed out that I had gone from 75,000 pageviews a day to down to 5,000 and it was still unusably slow they stopped bringing that up and started ignoring me. Monday I got this:

“It looks like your domain is being hit directly by it’s IP address, so I’ve moved you to a different Apache webservice. Your new IP address should propagate within about 12 hours, so check your connections again at that point, and let me know if your site is still being hammered.”

That did not fix anything and no more replies to my questions.

Today they said they rebooted my server and everything will be fine, but everything is still not fine.

Any ideas? Tech support has no interest in helping me?

I recommend you SSH into the server and run the uptime command to see what the load is like.

si-blog | Keystone Websites
Save $97 on yearly plans with promo code [color=#CC0000]SCJESSEY97[/color]

I suggest you SSH into it and run top and see what happens when you hit various pages on your site that are slow.

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]LENSMANFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LENSMAN97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

Quite right. That would be better. You’ll have to forgive me but I’m not all that familiar with shell commands.

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

Here is what I get for the load, above is # of connections

The load is quite low, so that is not your problem.

Thanks for your input I appreciate it. Anyone have any other ideas or things I could try?

Tech support still will not respond to any of my questions. I started emailing them at their personal email addresses yesterday, but they won’t respond to those either.

It appears I am on my own in solving this and I need some help with ideas at what to look at or try.

Thanks

Did you follow my suggestion and run top while hitting your pages? What did you find?

You might get some additional suggestions here if you tell us what software you’re running!

Finally, how is it (according to DH support) that your site is being hit directly by its IP? Do you have a unique IP?

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]LENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

The reason why is that the way DH works is that the domain in the http request is used to determine which apache configuration should be contacted. Without a unique IP, it should be impossible to hit your site.

Wholly - Use promo code WhollyMindless for full 97$ credit. Let me know if you want something else!

Huh?

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]LENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

Take any given hostname, and it resolves to an IP address. The IP address is routed to a machine. The machine could have more than one interface, ie more than one IP address. Anyways, at any given IP address the HTTP server daemon will be listening on port 80. A hit will be a connection on this port sending an HTTP request, and the Host header will specify the domain of the web site.

For virtual hosting, the HTTP server daemon doesn’t know what web site is being visited until it reads that Host header. Before hand who knows how the IP address was determined: it could be hardcoded, eg http://127.0.0.1/ for example, maybe there is no Host header present, or maybe since this is shared hosting then another web site shares the same IP address and this is a DOS attack and original poster is collateral damage. But the problem is the HTTP server daemon has already wasted resources responding to the numerous connections on this particular IP address, significantly affecting performance. Solution: change the IP address for this web site. Well at least they tried.

:cool: [color=#6600CC]Atropos[/color] | openvein.org

The OP said that DH support said:

Atropos7 said:

[quote]Take any given hostname, and it resolves to an IP address. The IP address is routed to a machine. The machine could have more than one interface, ie more than one IP address. Anyways, at any given IP address the HTTP server daemon will be listening on port 80. A hit will be a connection on this port sending an HTTP request, and the Host header will specify the domain of the web site.

For virtual hosting, the HTTP server daemon doesn’t know what web site is being visited until it reads that Host header. Before hand who knows how the IP address was determined: it could be hardcoded, eg http://127.0.0.1/ for example, maybe there is no Host header present, or maybe since this is shared hosting then another web site shares the same IP address and this is a DOS attack and original poster is collateral damage. But the problem is the HTTP server daemon has already wasted resources responding to the numerous connections on this particular IP address, significantly affecting performance. Solution: change the IP address for this web site. Well at least they tried.[/quote]
I asked the OP:

It’s kinda funny, but I’ll answer why I asked the question by quoting Wholly, who knows his stuff:

I was wondering whether the OP had a unique IP because that’s the only way I know of that you can hit a particular website in a shared hosting environment. As you yourself surmise, Apache has to know the hostname that was requested in order to know where to serve the content from. But if Apache is being hit “directly by its IP address”, that IP address must be associated with only one hostname.

And I ask all that to help figure out what the original poster is running on his site with a unique IP address. I can’t hit the site with just his IP address, so it seems like the DH tech must be mistaken about his site being hit directly by IP address and that the OP does not have a unique IP at all. I could still be wrong in this. I await revad’s response. :slight_smile: