My Site is Down

I run Kiva.org. We service loans to the poor in Africa and elsewhere. Our DH site crashes multiple timese every week!

It is down right now and has beeen down for 30 minutes. I will wait for someone at DH to contact me.

Matt

How come you haven’t changed hosts after all the recent complaints? If DH isn’t working for you (and you’re losing thousands of dollars as claimed previously), why continue to stay, posting on the board every time you have problems?

That being said, you site works fine for me right now.

Check out Gordaen’s Knowledge, the blog, and the MR2 page.

Could it be a problem with your routing/ISP/DNS?

I thought you had left DreamHost? I was talking behind your back. :slight_smile:

Norm

Opinions are my own views, not DreamHosts’.
I am NOT a DreamHost employee OK!! :@

You act on my advice at your own risk!

I am changing, it’s just hard to change instantly. I realized after Dreamhost that I can’t risk being on a shared server with a company who takes hours to respond. It is quite a helpless feeling to have the site crash every week without customer service to get back to you.

The site was down for an hour again today with no explanation. It wasn’t even mentioned on the dreamhoststatus blog.

Sorry if everyone here finds me annoying. It is my only hope of getting someone to help as I spend the next fewe days moving to a more reliable company.

You have created a number of threads complaining about problems with your site. Please refrain from doing that. It isn’t going to get your problem solved (you need to contact support for that).

Also, nobody really cares what your site does. Just because you are providing services for poor folks in Africa (or whatever your scheme/scam is), it doesn’t make your site any more important than the 300,000 others hosted by DreamHost.

Simon Jessey | Keystone Websites
Save $97 on yearly plans with promo code [color=#CC0000]SCJESSEY97[/color]

I’m posting for altruistic reasons. I want to save other businesses from being hurt because of Dreamhost the way my business has been hurt.

Once is altruistic but many times is vindictive.

What about those businesses that are doing quite well at DreamHost, but, because of your repeated negative postings from different usernames, DreamHost go bust and those businesses go under. So much for altruism.

Norm

Business? I thought you were helping poor people?

Simon Jessey | Keystone Websites
Save $97 on yearly plans with promo code [color=#CC0000]SCJESSEY97[/color]

Matt,

Don’t mind the “promo boys”…those folks just swarm on anyone that has an opinion that differs from theirs and since they actually do alot of business through “DH Referrals”, what they say is inherently clouded. That being said, DH is not the worst host on the planet, they just aren’t a “top tier” type of host, they are a “budget host” a good “budget” hosting company at that and can be useful for your “budget” clients. I remember a time when DH was actually a great hosting company at a fantastic price, now they have simply become more in-line with their prices.

IAmAtMyWitsEnd

Actually, dreamhost IS a GREAT hosting company.

I am not a promo boy/boi/girl …I am a customer who hosts almost 100 sites at dreamhost on over a dozen different dreamhost servers. I have not had problems since July 31…at least with dreamhost’s servers/service…however, my coding skills have taken down one of my sites twice…hehehe That’s not to say that other servers that I am not on haven’t had problems. Just the 20 I am on haven’t. So, I am happy…

If I weren’t happy, I WOULD find another host.

Kiva.org needs to go, move on. Quit complaining…you got on a bad server, you have had bad service from support so…go already. Find a new host. Complaining in a customer to customer support forum isn’t doing you or us any good. When a customer is fed up and makes the decision to move to another host…then that’s what they do. Your constant complaining makes you look like your just being vendictive and are losing merit for this constant bickering. Just go, find another host and start the moving on process.

BTW, my site is down again today. That’s 2 days straight for dreamhost. Wow.

kiva.org is up (yawn)

Actually, Kiva helps procure funds (mostly from individuals) to give to businesses to loan to poor people (with the businesses charging interest of course). So, they are a sort of funnel.

With the amount of traffic your site gets, Matt, I’d be spending my time moving to another host rather than posting on these forums multiple times about the same problems. I’m sorry that your service has been poor; hopefully DH will refund some of your money and the move will be a swift one.

Good luck with whatever host you plan to go with. I’d suggest doing some research about dedicated servers to see whether they fit within your budget.

To be fair, it was down a moment ago (and back up a moment later). So, obviously complaining incessantly fixed the problem :wink:

When you say down do you mean for a long time, or just a blip, whilst a server reloads a configuration somewhere?
Maybe it just nodded off.

Norm

Join the club!!

Just another horror day in the life of a dreamhost customer. Read this article for enlightenment:

http://futurosity.com/231/why-dreamhost-sucks

In my opinion, anybody who has something really rosy to say about the company, is just looking for a commission.

Instead of making customers happy, they would rather verbally abuse you. Some customer service.